cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ntlworld.com email

AVJ
Joining in

Hi - I’ve had an ntlworld.com email address for years and they have suddenly stopped coming through - accessing via iPhone and Apple Mac - the message I get is the mail server is not responding - I have check via my settings and all the details are set as all the sites say they should - any ideas why this is not working? Many thanks

17 REPLIES 17

BillC45
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Your email address presumably dates back to the NTL/Telewest days of 2006 or earlier. Have you had a continuous paid-for-monthly Broadband account throughout the period since then? If not, when did you cease to have a Broadband account?

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@AVJ wrote:

Hi - I’ve had an ntlworld.com email address for years and they have suddenly stopped coming through - accessing via iPhone and Apple Mac - the message I get is the mail server is not responding -

It would help trouble shoot the problem to know if you can still access your ntlworld account by signing directly into the Virgin Media Webmail service from here: https://mail2.virginmedia.com/  ?

Try that and post back to advise that you can log in successfully or if you cannot log in then post the error message get.

One other point. I hope I am reading too much into your phrase "I’ve had an ntlworld.com email address for years", but can you confirm that you still have the Broadband account with Virgin Media that you had when this ntlworld email account was set up? If not, and if you are no longer a VM Broadband customer then it is possible your ntlworld email account has been deleted. Hopefully you can confirm you are still a paying Virgin Media customer.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

• Thanks for this but when I try and logon to this it doesn’t recognise the email address. We are no longer with Virgin but haven’t been for years - surely they can’t just stop my email address without prior notice?

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@AVJ wrote:
We are no longer with Virgin but haven’t been for years - surely they can’t just stop my email address without prior notice?

Unfortunately, that is exactly what seems to happen. Such "orphan" accounts as yours are meant to be deleted 90 days after the broadband account closes but in reality it seems to take VM a lot longer to get round to it.. See section 3 in this link for details https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-how-to-cancel 

Also, sad to say that because you are no longer a broadband customer VM staff will not be able to help you.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Yes it would have been set up pre 2006 - we stopped having Virgin about 3 years ago

BillC45
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The terms and conditions here -

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services#broad...

spell out quite clearly what happens to your email address when you leave VM.

6. Any email address allocated by us to you will at all times belong to us and you may not transfer the address to any person. If this agreement ends, your right to use that email address will also end and you will no longer be able to use the email address, so please make sure you have an alternative email address and let your contacts know of the change, as we cannot do this for you. Please see our acceptable rules policy for more detail on email address usage and our Help and Support page on what happens to your email when you leave us.

Like many before you, you claim to be unaware of these T's and C's.

Thanks - I do get that except I believe we were told the opposite at the time and the fact I have been able to use for the past goodness knows how many years - for VM to just send an email to say it was going to be stopped would have been nice.  Not had a reply from anybody from VM on this which doesn’t surprise me - but thanks for your time on this.

Hi AVJ,

Thank you for posting on the Community Forums.

I am really sorry if you weren't advised that your email account would be deleted once you left Virgin Media - I can certainly appreciate any frustration and inconvenience this caused. Sadly once the email account has been deleted, we wouldn't be able to reinstate the account. This is something which is stated within our T&Cs, but I can agree that the team should have reminded you of this once you arranged for your account to be closed.

Kind regards,

Beth

Beth

ikiji
Joining in

Hi,

We've seen similar, except our mailserver shows the delivery as successful but the recipient (@ntlworld.com) is not receiving the emails.

Event:success 

User:********
Domain:jennypickford.co.uk
From Address:*****@je*******rd.co.uk
Sender:*****@je*******rd.co.uk
Sent Time:Jun 7, 2022, 7:46:19 PM
Sender Host:*********
Sender IP:81.170.111.167
Authentication:dovecot_login
Spam Score: 
Recipient:********@ntlworld.com
Delivery User:-remote-
Delivery Domain: 
Delivered To:********@ntlworld.com
Router:dkim_lookuphost
Transport:dkim_remote_smtp
Out Time:Jun 7, 2022, 7:46:19 PM
ID:1nyeDk-0003uo-Pe
Delivery Host:mx.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net
Delivery IP:212.54.56.11
Size:5.76 KB
Result:Accepted

The recipient has also check SPAM and nothing.
A second email 1 day apart also did not arrive yet nothing indicating that the mail has been rejected.

How can we open a support ticket to provide the full details if the above redacted info isn't quite enough?

Thanks
Neil