cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ntlworld.com email stopped working

sjfarrant
Joining in

In the last month (July) my ntlworld.com email has decided to stop receivng messages and says that verification required. Not quite sure what to do as what I thought was the password seems to be in there ok. Hasn't just happened on one medium either as both my mobile phone and pc stopped accepting and they are in themselves not connected so can't blame either for settings being altered.

Any assistance or know how will be very much appreciated

4 REPLIES 4

jem101
Superstar

Well the first and most important question is; are you a current VM broadband customer? If the answer is yes, then the second question is; have you always been a customer since the email address was set up with no breaks in service or address changes?

No, over the years, since that email created I have been with BT and also Now TV but have been with Virgin over last couple of years, so why now to switch off, if that is indeed the case?

In theory, VM's own policy (and clearly stated in the Ts & Cs which customers agree to when signing up) is that any email addresses are closed down and all of the email within the mailbox are deleted 90 days after leaving. This is what should have happened to your ntlworld address a few months after you originally left VM to go to BT. However as you have found VM can, for various reasons be somewhat lax in actually doing this and some mailboxes continue to be 'live' for years sometimes decades after and the ex-customer just carries on using them in blissful ignorance of their somewhat parlous state.

Even though you are a VM broadband customer now, the email address would have been associated with the original account broadband account which would now have been long since deleted, the mailbox and address are regarded as 'orphaned' and as such are liable for deletion at any point. Every now and again VM carry out a periodic sweep and cleanup of orphaned mailboxes and it is likely that this time, your's by chance was one that got caught and disabled.

Ok, thank you for the explanation. Shame I wasn't warned, that's all, as lost certain email threads that were still in operation