Menu
Highlighted
donjgreenwood
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

ntlworld.com email not working

My mother has Virgin media. She is not internet aware.

The log in to her account is an email address ending @ntlworld.com

When she tries to read her emails she gets a message telling her..

"Your mailbox is not available at the moment."

Emails sent to her address are returned because the mailbox is unknown.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: ntlworld.com email not working

These are always difficult to diagnose. You'll see that we need more information as I develop this reply

On the face of it this error message indicates that something has corrupted your mother's e-mail account and VM's IT department needs to get on the case. The VM Forum Team staff will pick up this thread and can arrange for this, but your mother will have to post in this thread to confirm that she is the account holder or they will not be able to help. Your mother presumably still has internet access so she can sign up for the Forum and do this. The Forum sign-up is as you know completely independent of VM's e-mail and other systems.

But we have an unaddressed issue here. It is not completely obvious from what you say that your mother has a live paid for VM broadband account with which this ntlword address is associated. You can check this in My Virginmedia. If she does NOT have a paid for VM broadband account then this is an entirely different game and one or other of you will need to post back and confirm the position. 

-----------------------

Superuser since 2015/16
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
donjgreenwood
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thanks for your reply,

Yes she has a valid broadband Virginmedia service. I am using it now.

Is it not possible for me to contact VM IT on her behalf directly? 

My mother is not internet literate. Explaining to her that she has to set up another email account to use to sign up for the forum is not going to be easy.

She cannot use her VM email account of course.

Correct me if I am wrong but I might as well sign her up to the forum in exactly the same way I have just done, using my own email account, which is no different to her using my sign up as there is no link between the Forum and her VM account.

Ideally I would like to speak to VM about it so they can verify that I am acting for my mother. I just have not found how to yet.

Regards

Don

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@donjgreenwood wrote:

Thanks for your reply,

Yes she has a valid broadband Virginmedia service. I am using it now.

Good - then this looks like an IT fault which can be resolved.

Is it not possible for me to contact VM IT on her behalf directly? 

No - VM will only deal with account holders and owners. So your mother will have to make the first contact. But even if she hands the phone over to you with this information first line support who answer will have no idea what you are talking about and you'll get precisely nowhere - which is why I said that the VM Forum Team here are best placed to handle this.

My mother is not internet literate. Explaining to her that she has to set up another email account to use to sign up for the forum is not going to be easy.

She does not have to do anything like that.  She can still give her ntlworld address, though it is problematic at the moment. It only used to send confirmation that someone has replied to posts in this thread and to identify her account if the VM Forum Team need to look things up. YOu can keep monitoring the thread for posts.

She cannot use her VM email account of course.

See above.

Correct me if I am wrong but I might as well sign her up to the forum in exactly the same way I have just done, using my own email account, which is no different to her using my sign up as there is no link between the Forum and her VM account.

No - VM need to verify who she is and one of the ways of doing that is to look at the account e-mail address

Ideally I would like to speak to VM about it so they can verify that I am acting for my mother. I just have not found how to yet.

Well, I've explained what will happen if you phone up.

Regards

Don

And please move the helpful answer tick you should not use this until the issue is solved . The risk is the Forum Team will take alook and ignore the thread because the tick means the issue is SOLVED. It isn't, of course.

-----------------------

Superuser since 2015/16
Use Kudos to say thanks
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
donjgreenwood
Tuning in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks once again,

For my mother to sign up to the forum she has to confirm her email address to verify the email address.

She cannot read her emails.

Regards  Don

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

It doesn't matter that the address is currently not working. It can still be used. If she doesn't sign up to the Forum and confirm that she is the account holder and owner no one here will be able to help.

If you are still unhappy about my advice then let her sign up with your e-mail address and explain in her post what she has done. She can always give her real e-mail address in activity that will then take place - via the private message system so that nothing gets disclosed on a public forum.

-----------------------

Superuser since 2015/16
Use Kudos to say thanks
donjgreenwood
Tuning in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again,

When she signs up with my email address I the way I have just done to provide this post) ie replies to the Forum email to verify my email address is the one she whats to use. How will she verify that she is the account holder and owner? After all this is just a forum that is not linked to her account in any way.

Regards Don

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

HowardML has asked some great questions and given you some great advice.  So I am just picking up on a small aspect of what he said in message 2.

You say your mother has an active VM broadband service  - can she log in to the billing area at My.VirginMedia.com?  It would look like this:

new account.pngmy services.png

Is her ntlworld.com email address showing on the my profile tab (scroll down to My services - not just the username or contact email) OR on the Manage accounts tab?  This is to confirm with you that her email address is LINKED to her billing account.  If not, make sure that VM staff know she has an orphan email address.  They can sometimes fix this.

If there is also trouble signing in to the billing area, do try another browser (or clear the history on the current browser) in case the current problem is simply because of rogue cookies.

Another clue you might want in your armoury when you do get someone in customer service to help you and your mother - is the email address still somewhere in the VM system - go to mailtester.com and see what result you get for her email address.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Because when the VM Forum Team reach the thread they will ask questions which will enable them to verify who the account holder is. And they will do this privately by private message. But they will do NOTHING if your mother has posted in this thread to say she is the account holder. She doesn't have to give any details or her full name. Just that she is the account holder.

Let me be honest. I have considerable experience of the way this Forum works (which is why VM have given me the rank of Superuser) over the years and the way the Team handle this kind of issue. But so far all I have done is answer your questions and we are no further forward on resolution.

-----------------------

Superuser since 2015/16
Use Kudos to say thanks
donjgreenwood
Tuning in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hello

There is no problem signing in and the Profile shows her email address listed in all of the places where an email is expected.

mailtester does not find her email address on the ntlworld.com server.

How do I contact VM staff to answer the questions? I called 150 (which is the number to call that is mentioned in the message about her email not being available at the moment) but none of the options I have tried seem to be relevant.

Regards Don

0 Kudos