cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ntlworld.com Calendar in Outlook Office 365

jhob
Tuning in

A 2 part question please. Working from home on a single Windows 10 PC I have both my work email address and my ntlworld.com email showing within desktop Outlook via the up to date version of Office 365. 

1) Can I get my IMAP ntlworld.com calendar to show as a separate calendar to my work one (I don't want them shared or within one calendar) like I can see both emails separately?

2) I also have my ntlworld.com IMAP email only on my Windows 10 laptop using Outlook desktop via Office 365 again and on 2x phones using Outlook Android App. I have to manually put any calendar entries into each device, is there any way of syncing them across all devices? Or if not in Outlook should I be using something else?

Apologies if these are Microsoft rather then Virgin questions. Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@jhob wrote:

Apologies if these are Microsoft rather then Virgin questions.

They are certainly interesting questions.

The first thing to say is that the IMAP protocol only covers the synchronisation of emails and email folders across devices. It does not cater for syncronising calendars and calendar information. So the simple answer to your question 2 is that you need to "be using something else". I know that some people use Google Calendar but there are also several 3rd party products designed specifically to sync calendars across devices. A bit of online research will show you what's available.

As far as question 1) is concerned. The Virgin Media email service is a just a basic service and does not include any calendar function whatsoever.

However, I assume that what you refer to as your "IMAP ntlworld.com calendar" is just the standard calendar in Outlook 365. However, that's not necessarily linked to any specific email account in Outlook.

You can set up more than one calendar in Outlook (see here https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/create-additional-calendars ) which may well be (almost) what you are looking for. At the moment I am still using Outlook 365. I had not previously tried setting up a second calendar in Outlook but I have just set up a second one as a test. The default calendar view in Outlook seems to display the two calendars side by side which would work for me (if I wanted two separate calendars that is LOL).

Hope that helps a bit.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi Coenoby

Thanks for your reply, it has really helped clear things up for me. I think where I was getting confused is (as you can probably tell from the ntl email address) I have probably had my ntl email in Outlook with a calendar for 15+ years and so I was thinking it was a Virgin/NTL calendar but as you say it will just be a standard calendar not actually linked to the email address and I didn't realise Virgin didn't have a calendar function.

I have set up the second Outlook calendar as you stated and can see them side by side. I guess the only thing I need to clarify now is, if I have one calendar for work and the other for personal, when I leave my current employment (soon) but keep the same PC, so delete my work email address from Outlook so I can only see the ntl one, as work will continue to monitor my work emails, will they only see the main Outlook calendar which was linked to my work email address or will they also be able to see this secondary calendar I have just set up, which is what I want to avoid? So is this secondary calendar linked to the main work email address or is it just a local one on my PC, which is what I want?

Thanks again for all you help!

Hi jhob, thanks for the message. The calendar should only be able to be viewed by yourself. ^Chris

Great thanks Chris.

I put a test meeting in the second calendar on my desktop Outlook. I then logged into SharePoint online and went to Outlook which is linked to my work email and went to the calendar and could see all the original meeting entries on my work calendar but could not see the new test entry, and so as you say the second calendar can only be seen by me on my desktop PC, which is exactly what I wanted.

Thanks again!

Glad to hear this has been resolved for you now @jhob!

If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to post again on the community forums, we'll be here to assist if needed. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Hi @alinabo12 thanks for your post, although I'm sorry to hear of your concerns raised here.

Does this happen on another device that you have Windows Mail available on, is it the latest software on the device and also the latest edition of the App itself?

We'd advise making sure you have the latest available and reporting back to us.

Many thanks

Tom_W