Menu
StuartL1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

ntlworld Account hacked

I have been sent this email with my Password as the title.

This is a non-negotiable offer, so please do not waste my personal and other people's time by replying to this email.

As you can see i sent email from your email account

The hacking was carried out using a hardware vulnerability through which you went online.

When you went online, my exploit downloaded my malicious code (rootkit) to your device.

I went around the security system in the router, installed an exploit there.

This is driver software, I constantly updated it, so antivirus is silent all time.

Since then I have been following you and others.

That is, I can see absolutely everything that you do, view and download your files and any data to yourself.

I also have access to the camera on your device, and I periodically take photos and videos with you.

At the moment, I have harvested a solid dirty stuff...

I saved all your email and conversations from your chats. I also saved the entire history of the sites you visit.

I made screenshot and photos using your camera of your device.

So, to the business!

I'm sure you don't want to show these files and visiting history to all your contacts.

Transfer USD 818  to my Bitcoin cryptocurrency wallet: 16JB5JuaEZuSSFY29tDwvtFRWHZgrMjaY9

Just copy and paste the BTC wallet address above (caSe senSiTivE)

You will make a bitcoin payment (if you don't know, look for (how to buy bitcoins) on Google).

My system automatically recognizes the transaction.

As soon as the specified amount is received, all your data will be destroyed from my server, and the rootkit will be automatically removed from your system.

Do not worry, I really will delete everything, since I am 'working' with many people who have fallen into your position.

Since opening this letter you have 120 hours (5 days).

If BTC not will be received, after the specified time has elapsed,

from my server will automatically send link with all data to all your contacts.

I advise you to remain prudent and not engage in nonsense (all files on my server).

Good luck!

So they have my email password.

Big issue is i cant change the password. There is no way of logging on to change settings.

I can only use this account through Outlook Type software. There is no online log ons. if i use virgin media web page it does not reconise the email address.

How can I change the password.??  If not how do i find the route kit he claims he has put on the Virgin Router.

Or how do I delete the Account??

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: ntlworld Account hacked

The first thing to say is that the email you have received is a complete scam.  The sender does not have access to your account, it is just a bluff to scare you.

If you check the action fraud website you will find a lot of information about this fraud.

However, to change your password Sign in to My Virgin Media, go to My Profile and/or Manage Accounts depending on whether the account concerned is your primary account or an additional one. Select the account concerned and then click on Change to the right of password if a primary account or View/Change then change to the right of password for secondary accounts.

StuartL1
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

They do have my password. it was the title of the email. I am not worried about the bribe stuff. i have no camera attached to my PC Smiley Happy . I have had alot of accounts hacked which were attached to this email, Steam passwords changed and other online gaming passwords changed due to they have the password.

I moved house so got a new account number which was not linked to this NTLworld address. that account disappeared. I can get my emails through the web page that account is added. but no options to change that account settings..  NTL side is broken.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The Forum Team should be able to arrange for the orphaned address to be deleted.  They will need to contact you to obtain details and clear security with you.

Forum Team (Retired) Tom_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi StuartL1, welcome to our community forums.

I am sorry to hear about the situation with this. I am going to send you a PM so I can confirm some details with you and discuss this further.

Thanks,

Tom_S

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hackers know that people often share passwords across accounts, such that say one person my use the same password email, social media and more.  So once they have a password from a successful hack on any account, they engage in a process called credential stuffing, where they try the same password across as many accounts as possible.  This also applies to these emails that they send out.  They want to scare unwitting users and how better than to send you your password.  In a number of cases the passwords sent have been passwords that are out of date for the email service, (in fact I can attest to this happening to me).

If you do use the same password across multiple accounts, you should consider changing this practice.  I use a password manager with two factor authentication to store my passwords, and the passwords have been changed to randomly generated ones, even with Virgin Media's relatively weak password requirements, a random password can hold up sufficiently well.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

StuartL1
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I never thought I would be a target so used basic passwords. Smiley Frustrated  Easy to remember. but since they changed my passwords to Steam account ,Amazon and EA using the NTLworld account. I have bolstered up my passwords..  Added 2 stage where ever I can. also linked them to a strong email account.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

You're not alone.  Sadly to hackers, anyone's a target, especially if they can find a way to monetise the hack, hence the scare tactics.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
coenoby
Well-informed
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@StuartL1 wrote:

I never thought I would be a target so used basic passwords.

Scammers may target specific individuals but those scams are on a completely different level to what you have just experienced,

In the vast majority of cases, including yours, the scammers are not targeting specific individuals at all.  They are just exploiting any credentials that they get their hands on and they will use whatever tactics they can to make money from them. They neither know or care who their victims are.

In fact it is very likely that the scammers who sent your email simply used an automated process to generate and send out many hundreds of identical emails at the same time as yours. The text in the email is designed to make it seem personal to you but of course it isn't. 

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
StuartL1
Tuning in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

They have started to send Spam from my email Also.. Because its an Orphan account it has to be Put Down...
0 Kudos