cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

not receiving emails ntlworld address

Simon103
Joining in

Since 6 September I have not been receiving emails on my ntlworld address which I've used without problems for the last 20+ years.  I had messages saying my inbox was full (?) but nothing other than that.  I telephoned the helpdesk to be told my inbox had been locked and I had to change my password to unlock it.  I did so without effect.  On the second call I was told that the matter would be escalated as they didn't know how to address it and agreed that emails were not getting through. Nothing happened. On the third call I was told to expect a call back and that they would help me unlock it.  No call back was received. I have telephoned again today to now be told that the ntlworld email accounts have been abandoned because of technical issues and that I should have received an email (!) to tell me that and that I should set up a new email address. I am furious at this fiasco and would be grateful if I could receive some definite confirmation of what the actual situation is please with ntlworld emails as it is going to cause me MASSIVE inconvenience to have to start using a new email address and I don't want to do this unless it's absolutely necessary. Incidentally I couldn't sign up to this message board using my ntlworld email as I couldn't receive the email with the verification link!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Unless you really want to forward the emails to another address then the autoforward box should be left empty.

You should also follow all the steps set out in this help page:

https:/virgin-media-account-has-been-hacked 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Simon103  Sorry to read this sorry tale.  Although there are rumours circulating regarding the closure of all Ntlworld email addresses there has been no official confirmation of this from Virgin Media.

It isn't clear from your post if you can still access the email address concerned via the VM webmail interface, https://mail2.virginmedia.com/

Worth noting also that there are a number of phishing attempt emails doing the rounds claiming various issues with VM email addresses such as mailbox full or you need to migrate etc.

If you can access your VM webmail page then check the settings to make sure there are no rogue auto forward or other filters set to divert incoming email away from your account. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

Hi Graham

Yes I can still access my Virginmedia webmail page and can also send emails, just not receive any.  When I first looked at the settings the other day the auto forward did have an email address in that I didn't recognise and I removed it.  I have two ntlworld email addresses, a primary and a secondary and I replaced the unknown autoforward email address with my secondary email address - not entirely sure if this was the correct thing to do? Should this autoforward box in fact be empty?

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Unless you really want to forward the emails to another address then the autoforward box should be left empty.

You should also follow all the steps set out in this help page:

https:/virgin-media-account-has-been-hacked 

Simon103
Joining in

Thanks for the advice, I've removed the autoforward email addresses and just done a test email from my gmail address and it has arrived!!!  So, early days yet but this is a step forward!!!  We'll have to wait and see if we start getting all of our messages again - fingers crossed!!!  If so I'll be making a formal complaint to Virginmedia about the appalling mis-information that is being supplied by their telephone agents - the guy I spoke to today assured me that the information about the ntlworld email addresses being discontinued had come from his superviser and that their was nothing that could be done!

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Simon103 Good news so far.

I would urge you to follow up with that complaint as the amount of misinformation coming out of the call centres is escalating to absurd levels.

Our small group of VIP community members regularly raise this issue behind the scenes.

We do seem to be getting our emails again so thanks for your help. I will certainly follow up on the complaint - any advice on how best to do so - the online complaint message option seems a bit basic?

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The VM Forum Team staff should be able to help you with taking the complaint forward when they reach this thread tomorrow.

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Simon103, thanks for getting in touch.

Sorry to hear about the issues you've had when getting in touch about problems with your email address. I'm glad to hear the problem has since been resolved. So we can look further into what happened previously and ensure feedback is provided where needed I will contact you via PM - just look out for the purple envelope and we'll take it from there.

Tom