Menu
derekcoombes
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

new email address

In trying to add a new email address to my Blueyonder account I seem to have succeeded in creating a Secondary Account.  What does this mean and does it cost me anything? I can't seem to find any details of what a Secondary Account is.

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: new email address

Hello derekcoombes

A secondary account means the primary account holder has control of it.  You can change the password, delete it completely, view the emails that come in, etc.  So only do it for someone when you have mutual trust!

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Did you follow this process:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-how-to-create-a-new-email-address

You can have up to eight further addresses in addition to your original blueyonder address which will be your primary address and which can never be changed. That is all a secondary account is. You can use it yourself or you can create it for a member of your family to use as their own e-mail address. They can log in to VM mail independently of you. You should have a different password for the secondary account. But as MissPasko has pointed the primary account user has control over the secondary account. although the secondary account holder (if you give the address to someone else to use) can log in to My Virginmedia and change the password if they need to. But that is all they can do.

Why do you think VM would charge you for additional addresses? They don't - phew!

If you use web mail to manage your e-mail you can add your new address so you can all your e-mail on one place. Read this:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-how-to-check-emails-from-another-account

BUT the guide is not completely correct now (we have asked for it to be amended but it hasn't been done yet). The place to click to "add the account" is on the front page of the web mail interface where you see the folder list it is clickable red link.

Anything else puzzling you?

-----------------------

Superuser 18/19.
Use Kudos to say thanks
Tick an answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
derekcoombes
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the explanation. Just got to get VM to accept all addresses, as you say the help instructions don't exactly match the process. Not ideal if you are non-refundable like me 🤔

0 Kudos