Menu
martyn2020
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

need to send regular emails to 150 users - cannot do it!!!

why do i keep getting errors like spam, and hourly rate limit - i need to send regular emails to over 150 users at one time and the system continues to stop mew!!!ARRGGG GH

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: need to send regular emails to 150 users - cannot do it!!!

You should consider using a different email provider that has a higher limit on daily/ hourly numbers of emails sent.

It is likely that you will need a paid for email account for this rather than the free version that Virgin Media give their broadband customers.

I believe that Gmail and outlook also have limits on the number of emails that can be sent.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
martyn2020
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your response.

I'm not new to email - I.ve had this account for over a year now and when I did some research Virgin said this would be possible - what a waste of time! If they said they could not do it I would have gone to another provider which could let me send regular emails to over 150 users. This makes my blood boil! What a complete waste of time and effort - totally useless!

0 Kudos
coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@martyn2020 wrote:

when I did some research Virgin said this would be possible - what a waste of time!  

As far as I can see this is what VM say on the subject https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-email-sending-limits 

If I read it correctly it suggests you can send to150 recipients directly from a Webmail account, Actually the limit is 500 recipients which is the same limit as Gmail by the way.

However, if you use an email app or client the limit is 100 and I guess that is why you are having the issue.

I know that in addition to those individual message limits there are also daily sending limits but as far as I am aware they are not publicly available.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
martyn2020
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks - I've experienced this issue before. I know (or expect) that there is usually no issue sending to 150 users - I've done it before many times as I'm a Vets Captain in a Golf Club so have to send out regular emails - but this time the response was daily/hourly limit reached, then when I tried to narrow it down the system wouldn't even let me send to 1 person!!!

I'm still trying to assess which users I need to resend to as the reports back from VM are rubbish.

0 Kudos
coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@martyn2020 wrote:

this time the response was daily/hourly limit reached, then when I tried to narrow it down the system wouldn't even let me send to 1 person!!!

My understanding is that once you hit the hourly or daily sending limits VM actually blocks you from sending any messages for a period of time. I am not sure what that period is.

This procedure is fairly common across email providers. Obviously they all want to prevent their services being used by spammers. FWIW I have occasionally encountered that same problem when sending from Outlook to a distribution list using my Gmail address.

The other factor that comes into play is the number of messages you send that result in  "bounce back" non delivered messages . A relative high number of undelivered messages suggests the scatter gun approach to emails that spammers often use and that may result in lower sending limits being applied.

If you do regularly need to send large numbers of emails you will have to look for an email provider who offers that specific service as Graham_A suggested earlier. The major free email services are designed for personal use not for regularly emailing to large distribution lists so you will always be coming up against this problem.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos