cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

my ntl email is recognised as spam

ClaireH1
Joining in

Hi, I have an ntlworld.com email that I use regularly. Trouble is that quite a few people have said to me that my emails are going into their spam box. No wonder I didn't get replies! This never used to happen, any ideas as logic says it's a setting my end not theirs as it now happens on various emails eg Yahoo, Gmail etc.

Thanks 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ClaireH1  and @floppitydoppity 

Even when a recipient has marked the ntlworld email as a trusted sender it still ends up in their spam. 

It's nothing to do with the content or any signature (I've tried all options).

I would just point out that this is quite an old thread and at the time I made my original post  the current issue of Virgin Media  emails being flagged as spam by the AOL / Yahoo /Sky email platform had not been spotted.

Also, the original post talked about VM emails also being flagged as spam by Gmail. I can only say I have never seen that with my Gmail account.

For what it's worth, my experience with my own AOL email account was that marking my VM (ntlworld) email address as "not spam" did work originally but after a while  AOL started once again to flag my VM emails as spam.

I have now added my VM email address as a contact in my AOL account and at the moment my VM emails are still appearing in my AOL inbox rather than the spam folder.

Clearly there should be no need for such workarounds, I am just reporting my experience.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ClaireH1 wrote:

it's a setting my end not theirs as it now happens on various emails.

Or it is something in the content of your emails that triggers the recipients' spam filters.

One thing that comes to mind is whether you regularly include a URL link to a website in your emails, perhaps in your signature. That can trigger spam filters especially if the website you are linking to has been flagged as a suspicious site for some reason.

Others include have a blank subject line or sending emails with several bccs (blind copy) addresses included, for example if you are sending out a club newsletter to a large number of members.

I see that you mention Gmail as one of the email services that are flagging your emails a spam. Gmail has a useful feature that might help you.

If you ask one of your Gmail recipients to open one of your emails from their spam folder it will give the reason why it has been flagged as spam. They may have to click on a box on that page to get that but on my Gmail account it comes up automatically.

Looking in my Gmail spam currently I have the following examples but I have seen several others in the past:

Why is this message in spam? It is similar to messages that were identified as spam in the past.

Why is this message in spam? You previously marked messages from xxxx@xxxxx. as spam.

Gmail's response to your emails will at least give you a clue. Feel free to reply to this thread with the response if you'd like any advice as to what could give rise to that response and how best to act on it.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

floppitydoppity
On our wavelength

Did you ever sort this problem? 

No I didn't. 

Even when a recipient has marked the ntlworld email as a trusted sender it still ends up in their spam. 

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If the recipient's domain is AOL Sky or Yahho then see, Re: email not delivered ... yahoo,AOL and sky domains

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ClaireH1  and @floppitydoppity 

I would just point out that this is quite an old thread and at the time I made my original post  the current issue of Virgin Media  emails being flagged as spam by the AOL / Yahoo /Sky email platform had not been spotted.

Also, the original post talked about VM emails also being flagged as spam by Gmail. I can only say I have never seen that with my Gmail account.

For what it's worth, my experience with my own AOL email account was that marking my VM (ntlworld) email address as "not spam" did work originally but after a while  AOL started once again to flag my VM emails as spam.

I have now added my VM email address as a contact in my AOL account and at the moment my VM emails are still appearing in my AOL inbox rather than the spam folder.

Clearly there should be no need for such workarounds, I am just reporting my experience.

Coenoby