cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i was forced to sign up to gadget rescue

JaneOlivia1
On our wavelength

intermittently since beginning of October 2021, including yesterday, I am unable to receive any emails. I was told by several members of technical support at a Virgin call centre it was my problem. Cue hours of restarting, resetting, holding on phone. I was then FORCED to pay for a service I DO NOT WANT to fix this problem - Virgin Media Gadget Rescue  £20 start up fee and for £5.00 for 6 months. When Virgin finally admitted it was their problem I was told Gadget Rescue would be cancelled. But no, here it is on my bill. I want it cancelled, and trying to do so is arduous and again, incredibly time consuming. An extremely rude and bored sounding young woman on 150 no help whatsoever, and cannot get through to Gadget Rescue. 

Is this the norm for Virgin Media for a customer of over 20 years? To be forced to pay for a service to fix an email problem that was Virgin's problem all along?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

I'm sure the forum staff can arrange for the relevant team to issue a refund.  This will be your easiest and quickest outcome.

If they can't, raise a formal complaint using the online form in My Virgin Media, asking for a refund of the charges, or a "deadlock letter" if the company are not willing to make a full and immediate refund.  If there's a refusal, then using the deadlock letter* you escalate the matter to CISAS, the industry complaints service.  If it needs to go to CISAS, then copy the complaint to Ofcom.  In any requested resolution for CISAS to consider, seek repayment of all charges plus additional compensation for the email fault itself, the mis-selling, and the subsequent poor customer service.

* You can still use CISAS without a deadlock letter, but only after VM have had a formal complaint for eight weeks without a satisfactory resolution. 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

I'm sure the forum staff can arrange for the relevant team to issue a refund.  This will be your easiest and quickest outcome.

If they can't, raise a formal complaint using the online form in My Virgin Media, asking for a refund of the charges, or a "deadlock letter" if the company are not willing to make a full and immediate refund.  If there's a refusal, then using the deadlock letter* you escalate the matter to CISAS, the industry complaints service.  If it needs to go to CISAS, then copy the complaint to Ofcom.  In any requested resolution for CISAS to consider, seek repayment of all charges plus additional compensation for the email fault itself, the mis-selling, and the subsequent poor customer service.

* You can still use CISAS without a deadlock letter, but only after VM have had a formal complaint for eight weeks without a satisfactory resolution. 

thanks, your response is much appreciated. I did luck out with the next person I spoke to at Virgin Media (the one previously should really not be working there), who says she has cancelled the subscription, issued a credit and also suggested ways to reduce the bill. So I am feeling less incensed, and crossing fingers it all comes through as promised. 

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @JaneOlivia1,

Thank you for the update 🙂 I am glad to see that this has now been resolved for you.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

nope, same problem all over again - once more locked out of my email account

I am very sorry to hear that JaneOlivia1, I'll pop you over a PM now so I can continue to help you further with this.

Please look out for my PM 🙂

Beth

Beth

now to add absolute insult to injury - disgusting, VM - I receive this email telling me they've fixed the problem. No you have not. It is ongoing. I've had this email for over 20 years, and you cannot tell me (though you are trying) that this is my fault. FIX it please, and don't insult me with emails such as this: Complaint reference: C-03122xxx

Date: 03/12/2021

Hello JANE [deleted],

Thanks so much for the chat on 03/12/2021. We’re very happy to be able to resolve things for you.

Here's a quick recap

Your complaint was:

Cable Customer Experience > Other 

And here’s what we agreed:

Technical > Technical help provided

We’ve now closed your complaint. Thanks again for bearing with us.

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post.]

Hi JaneOlivia1, Are these extra charges on top of the agreed monthly rate, or is the monthly rate which you would like to discuss? ^PDe

I'm locked out of my email Paul. I'm not sure what you are referring to - the being told to sign up to Gadget rescue? Yes, I would like a refund and the contract terminated as it is clearly a VM issue.