Menu
aas54a
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

help

Hello,  I am not sure who is going to read this and whether or not anyone can help me!  I am 81 and in the very early 90s lived in Colchester.  NTL were digging trenches and laying fibre cable in our street. I joined them as soon as I could and as you will know they became Virgin Media.

I had an NTL email address and managed to retain it, despite several 'glitches' along the way. 

Apart from a short soiree with SKY because my late, very disabled wife loved SPORTS, we remained with Virgin Media after our move from Colchester Essex (removed St Johns Green) in 2003  to St Neots Cambs ( removed Kings Road) until my wife died in 2016.

I then moved to North Suffolk (No Virgin Media service). I reluctantly had to cease my Contract with them.  ( I have been told recently by Virgin Media that i should have received notification that my email address would become defunct after 90 days! I received no such notification) I was however able to continue to use my Virgin Media email address which had been since the early 90s  removed@ntlworld.com. until the 9 Feb 2019 when a Windows 10 update wiped my email and all my contacts from my computer?

I have been a loyal customer to Virgin Media and all I would ask is that if at all possible could they retrieve and send me a hard copy of my many contacts both in UK and abroad that at this stage in my life I am finding impossible to contact. 

Thank you

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: help

VM offer no such service. And you should not have posted a full e-mail address on a public forum or your home addresses. That's an open invitation for spammers and scammers to try their luck. Edit your post (you have 30 minutes to do it) or the Forum Mods will have to do it for you. If you ask VM for any help with your account they will simply go ahead and delete it fully. That would spoil what I am going to suggest to try and help you.

You have one small chance of success. As VM do not seem to have closed your e-mail account properly when you left it might be possible for you to recover details of your contacts, but not your contact list, if you try to get back in to your e-mail using the e-mail client in Windows 10 or by downloading an e-mail client like Mozilla's Thunderbird (www.thunderbird.net). T/bird has the advantage of setting itself up automatically for VM and its e-mail servers. You should be able to read your mail and use that to recover the addresses you want.

You should under no circumstances continue to use your NTLworld address for the future. It is liable to deletion without any notice.  VM are cureently running a clean-up of these accounts. You have been warned! As a non-VM broadband customer you have no right to such an address.

Go with one of the well known free, non ISP linked e-mail providers for the future.

-----------------------

Superuser since 2015/16
Use Kudos to say thanks
Tick an answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I should have added (but forgot because I thought you needed urgent advice) that VM won't have a contact list for you anyway because if you have been using the windows 10 mail app to send mail etc all your contacts were held on your PC and not on VM's servers. VM's servers will only have a contact list if you have been using web mail.

-----------------------

Superuser since 2015/16
Use Kudos to say thanks
Tick an answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

AFAIK Virgin Media won't send out that information I'm afraid.

If you know the password you could try logging in to Webmail to see if there are any contacts listed there (this would depend on whether Virgin Media have removed the single sign on access yet), if you can't remember the password you could try using the forgotten passwords link.  There's no guarantee that this would work, but a slim chance is better then no chance.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.