cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

genuine emails blocked by virgin

ALF28
Super solver

My virign email spam filter is set to tag spam and deliver to the inbox.

This does work and the spam is tagged.

I have no blacklists.

If I send an email to  my virgin email from another email -myself@mail.com I get the following message

(virgin should not be blocking my own test email but should allow it through and mark it spam- but I point out there is no spam content, just that the mail.com email ip address has a spamhause listing.

This means if it had been an important email to me, virgin have blocked it, if that is the case they are censoring my received virgin email which is most unusual??)

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of
its recipients. This is a permanent error.

The following address failed:

xxxxxxx20@ntlworld.com:
SMTP error from remote server for GREETING command, host: mx.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net (212.54.56.11) reason: 550 mx2.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net mx2.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net MXIN102 Your
IP 82.165.159.131 is in RBL. Please see https://www.spamhaus.org/quer
y/ip/82.165.159.131 ;id=oLqYnjsm88Arq;sid=oLqYnjsm88Arq;mta=mx2.tb;d=
20220510;t=110758[CET];ipsrc=82.165.159.131;

--- The header of the original message is following. ---

DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/simple; d=mail.com;
s=dbd5af2cbaf7; t=1652173677;
bh=Q6lEgQxdcpjfn91l7tnxYwiCoR8I3d4D7bauTjowIB4=;
h=X-UI-Sender-Class:From:To:Subject:Date;
b=uLuGNOXMtsg8SWOtnw0K1ieoUVHLCjpioycbLVebmBCmreNCmm9NytbTNBMIdQvlD
znPkU+04SpBNUvotkECpt1jxRwXCJVNVLLHe/rX7RonwLKaCdjq0hhR43/Z3asZ/dj
8tOpOOCXSLE6GWSUwmMDIoAmtUcJgavD84i8KwGY=
X-UI-Sender-Class: 214d933f-fd2f-45c7-a636-f5d79ae31a79
Received: from [my ip address removed] ([my ip addess removed]) by web-mail.mail.com
(3c-app-mailcom-lxa03.server.lan [10.76.45.4]) (via HTTP); Tue, 10 May 2022
11:07:57 +0200
MIME-Version: 1.0
Message-ID: <trinity-541445d3-015c-4a5f-9f27-3b520e3a5faa-1652173677346@3c-app-mailcom-lxa03>
To: xxxxxxxx@ntlworld.com
Subject: test2
Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 11:07:57 +0200
Importance: normal
Sensitivity: Normal
X-Priority: 3
X-Provags-ID: V03:K1:Vvg7tcNZCe7FKSBExGc+EdAGb0ZA8g1GWEh2Xt6uCR0J1KvHVPJa2x+pm08PkxvNjvV9m
iPoNgum57Yx50BTDvkjq7u5Nk+RivgHS6zm4I8eDmuOL/J7CLDUyHbADrY4x5iI492qJdO3823om
pmQqy3BRYxiTNoquVmHlfhMpSUMYwB0ZODtm3WOh5fHyc9HaPDJSs1wkqIL0qTgQuvu8Q+Xkclou
tHEfmqUMAiT9hBhgRkECj3q7jX9KDX8jlFCeD1UeqNiykW4nQF8uKK27v+ZhtIkcxis/5Dtoq0OT
l4=
X-Spam-Flag: YES
X-UI-Out-Filterresults: junk:10;V03:K0:7b4gudFSSYs=:fluJTVrNVbwZnalj8snMhZ7d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I have tested 3 different virgin email addresses, 2 are mine and one my wife's and all are blocked if sent from mail.com.

Yet I get lots of spam, but why does my own genuine emails get blocked when spammers can deliver to virgin email no problem.

It is tagging as spam-X-Spam-Flag: YES but blocking delivery??

My own virgin IP address is on on a block list but do not think that is the issue-

What is the PBL?

The Policy Blocklist (PBL) is a list of IP space that should not be sending email direct to MX: often these are IP ranges assigned by ISPs to broadband or dial-up customers, but the PBL does include other types of IP space. Any IP space that should not be sending email directly to the Internet should be listed in PBL.

PBL listings do not prevent the sending of email unless the user’s email program is not authenticating correctly when connecting to their ISP or company’s mail server. Possible causes for this happening suddenly: changing email programs or changing settings on the existing one, forgetting to turn “SMTP Authentication” on, or switching “SMTP Authentication” off.

Back

20 REPLIES 20

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi ALF28,

Thanks for posting and welcome back to the community.

Apologies for the confusion from my end, can I ask do you face issues in sending emails from the proposed email address?

Thanks,

Kain

I can not send email from my mail.com  email to my virgin email, it is blocked by virgin.

I can send email from my mail.com to gmail.com, but is goes to the spam folder.

the warning message from gmail is-

Why is this message in spam? 

Lots of messages from mail.com were identified as spam in the past.

So, wheras gmail (google) identify my mail.com email  as a spam sender, even though the email is genuine, so it can be selected as not spam, but virgin just block any emails from mail.com, so they do not arrive at all.

The problem is with mail.com which has been listed in spamhause, I will suspend use of mail.com (gmx) until they rectify the issue.

alf28

Hi ALF28,

Thank you for coming back to us and for the update, it sounds like something is being picked up as spam Email for us to be blocking it and Gmail sending to spam, have you ran an anti virus scan to check this?

Regards

Paul.

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Paul_DN 

The problem is that you are blocking the following IP address

NOTE:  This is a mail server address for GMX's outbound mail system - it's not a users IP address.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

mail.com email blocked by virgin.

Thanks for the help, I ran several antivirus scans on both my laptops and always wise to do so, and  eset antivirus picked up that my avast brower had a potentally unsafe application "variant" of-

win32/ccleaner, called avastbrowseruninstall.exe. which it deleted. I decided to remove the avast browser to be on the safe side but still have ccleaner.

It may explain why I was getting notification for along time  that ccleaner was trying to make changes to the memory. but was blocked by controlled folder access.

However this did not resolve the blocking issue of the mail.com IP address by virgin, so I agree with ravenstar68  that the problem is not my own computer or my own virgin IP address, but that the virgin server is blocking the Ip address 82.165.159.131 which is   mail.com server. (gmx.com isp ionos se)

This is due to a a spam listing of mail.com in spamhause. 

I have tested sending emails to my virgin email from other emails- outlook.com and gmail.com and they arrive no problem in my virgin inbox.

Only mail.com can apply to delist from spamhause.

This means all emails form mail.com are blocked even if they are not spam, so virgin must have a good reason for blocking this IP address which may in the past have been used for abusive purposes/spamming etc so has a bad reputation, but so do most emails, even gmail which has lot of spam but that is not blocked.

I have not had any spam emails from mail.com myself, but have had spoofed emails from mail.com that were not from mail.com including a fake virgin bill recently, the sender address were spoofed  to be  mail.com but the sender IP address were not mail.com, had about 6 like that. By contrast I have had far more spam emails from outlook.com, gmail.com and  hotmail.com.

alf28

Hi @ALF28,

Have you been able to contact mail.com to advise their email server has been blacklisted so they can take steps to get it delisted as suggest by coenoby?

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

I only use the mail.com email address as a spare thowaway email address, not my main one so I will just wait for it to be delisted in due course, I am sure they must be aware of the Spamhause listing.

alf28

spam 

I noticed that I also have had a spam email yesterday to my virgin email from the same  ionos servers  in germany and the uk but with a different ip address.

The ionos servers  have  some  blacklisting when I check the domains on mxtoolbox, and mail.com has two blacklistings at present, uses ionos.se.

This does indicate that there is a spam problem with the ionos server and that may be why some ip addresses get blocked such as mail.com

It was interesting that the spam email did get through from a  valid uk email adddress via ionos.co.uk, but was tagged as spam by virgin, so was sent originally from a german ip address  but arrived from a uk ip address.

alf28

Hi @ALF28,

I do apologise. Does adjusting your spam settings help at all?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

I do tag spam and deliver to the inbox, so am aware of the spam settings thanks, I do not reject the spam.

Spam can not be stopped, but the tagging  helps to identify spam type emails.

The spam emails are usually from unknown senders, not genuine known senders.

I am happy with the spam settings but sometimes my regular emails occasioanly will be tagged spam.

alf28