cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

forwarded e-mail.

pamhome
Tuning in

After one of our accounts was hacked and blocked , there was a box saying all our e-mails were being forwarded to an Outlook address which is not ours. At first I didn't realise that this had been put there by the hacker but I managed to delete it, hopefully permanently. it appeared on one of our accounts, which wasn't blocked so I guess they also had access to that as well.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Great advice from Coenoby as always 🙂 There is help here but the information above is excellent.

Rob

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@pamhome wrote:

At first I didn't realise that this had been put there by the hacker but I managed to delete it, hopefully permanently. it appeared on one of our accounts, which wasn't blocked so I guess they also had access to that as well.

As well as deleting the forwarding set up by the hacker you also need to to reset the password on those hacked accounts. If you don't the hacker will be straight back into the account.

Here are the details of how to reset the password on VM email accounts:

Sign in from this link https://my.virginmedia.com/home/signIn  using the the VM email address and existing password.  That will take you to the relevant "My Virgin Media" account for that email address.

Then navigate to the "Account details" page by clicking on the "Update settings" tab and then you'll see the "Account details" tab. Scroll down that page and you will see a place to edit the password.

You should also consider changing the "Password recovery question", the option to do that is on the same page as the password reset option.

You also need to check any of online accounts that are linked to those email address, so accounts such as eBay and Amazon. When hackers set autoforwards it is often to enable them to scam (steal from ) one or more of your online accounts.

A final thought. The security protection on VM email account is not great so you could consider moving to another email provider which offers 2 Factor Authentication / 2 Step Verification. That gives another layer of security.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thank you I have already done all this as per you previous advice. 

Great advice from Coenoby as always 🙂 There is help here but the information above is excellent.

Rob