cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

exporting emails from Ntlworld.com and Virginmedia.com

lizzietatt
Tuning in

I had to leave VM 7 months ago as we moved and there was no VM in our new area.  I have an @ntlworld email and my husband has an @virginmedia email.  I have recently set up a gmail account and have successfully imported all of my emails from VM but I can't seem to do the same for my husbands account.  Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@lizzietatt wrote:

I have recently set up a gmail account and have successfully imported all of my emails from VM but I can't seem to do the same for my husbands account. 

When you say you  "imported" your emails to Gmail, was that using the Accounts and Import   option in Gmail's settings?

If you are trying to repeat that process for your husband's email account, the first thing to do is to check that his VM email account is still accessible on the VM website. You can do that from this link https://mail2.virginmedia.com/  

It is possible his VM account has been locked or even deleted by VM. (Remember that VM should delete all linked email accounts 90 days after a VM broadband account has been closed.)

If the account is still accessible on the VM website you should be able to import it into Gmail so what error message are you seeing in husband's Gmail account when you try to set up the import for this account?

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@lizzietatt wrote:

I have recently set up a gmail account and have successfully imported all of my emails from VM but I can't seem to do the same for my husbands account. 

When you say you  "imported" your emails to Gmail, was that using the Accounts and Import   option in Gmail's settings?

If you are trying to repeat that process for your husband's email account, the first thing to do is to check that his VM email account is still accessible on the VM website. You can do that from this link https://mail2.virginmedia.com/  

It is possible his VM account has been locked or even deleted by VM. (Remember that VM should delete all linked email accounts 90 days after a VM broadband account has been closed.)

If the account is still accessible on the VM website you should be able to import it into Gmail so what error message are you seeing in husband's Gmail account when you try to set up the import for this account?

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Ah thank you so much.  That makes sense.  I was the main account holder which explains why my emails were still accessible.  I can't access the Virgin Media site so I think that must mean his emails are lost forever but hey ho.   Thank you for helping with this - I thought I'd lost the plot!!

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@lizzietatt wrote:

I can't access the Virgin Media site so I think that must mean his emails are lost forever but hey ho.   Thank you for helping with this - I thought I'd lost the plot!!

Glad to be of help.

However, before you give up on importing your husband's VM emails to his Gmail account - what error message is coming up when you try accessing the account via the VM website?

If it's "Mail account not available" it may mean the account is locked and not yet deleted.

If that's what you are seeing you could try unlocking it by resetting the password.

VM have changed the way you reset the password on secondary email accounts and I am not sure the new process will work on email accounts that are no longer linked to a live broadband account but try it anyway.

Provided you know the existing password you (or your husband) can try signing into the "My Virgin Media" account for that secondary email account. All VM email accounts including secondary accounts now have their own My Virgin Media account.

Sign in from here  https://my.virginmedia.com/home/signIn  with the email address and existing password of  your husband's VM email account.  That should take you to the relevant "My Virgin Media" account for his email address.

Then navigate to the "Account details" page by clicking on the "Account settings" tab and then you'll see the "Account details" tab. Scroll down that page and you will see a place to edit the password. Change it to a completely new password and leave it 30 minutes before trying to access the email account again - via Gmail or the VM website.

It's a bit of a long shot but worth a try. 😉

Coenoby

Tried both of those I'm afraid.  The first says 'your email or password wasn't correct' .  When I tried forgotten password and entered just the email, it said 'Please enter the email address you use to sign into My Virgin Media' 

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@lizzietatt wrote:

Tried both of those I'm afraid.  The first says 'your email or password wasn't correct' . 

OK, sorry to get your hopes up. That error messages does suggest the email account has been deleted, or at least VM have removed access to it.

Coenoby

That's fine - I really appreciate your help with this.   I just felt I was going round in circles.  Now I know, I can just forget about them and move on!!

Hi lizzietatt, 

Thanks for your post and a big welcome to the Community. It's great having you on board with us in the Forums. 

We're sorry to hear you've been having an issue accessing a secondary account email address. I can see Coenoby has offered some great advice and there may still be something we can do to help. 

When sending a test email to the address you're trying to gain access to, do you get a failed report? If not then it suggests the address is still on our systems and we can try manually resetting things for you. 

Do the test and if you do get a delivery failed report then it would mean the email address is already deleted. If you don't though just reply to the message I'm about to send you to pass through security and look into this further. 

Many thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi

Both my husbands and my email addresses are still in full use.  I am now running a gmail account too and gradually swapping over.  I just couldn't access them on the virginmedia server (via the internet) so all the emails more than 6 months old weren't accessible.    My worry was that when I needed any support for email, as I am no longer a Virgin Media customer I wouldn't have access to that support.

Liz

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

No worries thanks for the responses on this lizzietatt,

It would appear given the timeframe of the account being closed that the secondary email may have been closed.

Many apologies for that however thanks for raising your query.

Regards,

Kain