cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

everything over a day old vanished form Inbox

silvercue
On our wavelength

Using Outlook Client and Windows 10

All of my Virgin Inbox, apart from last yesterday and today have gone.  They are not in deleted items (or trash as it is called in my outlook).    So I can't restore them from there or the server.

If I look on other devices, such as Ipad, or Virgin Webmail or different email clients - it is the same - all gone with no obvious way to recover.

I did use email on Ipad the other day and wondering if that has somehow caused an issue.

Anyway, aside from how this has happened - is there anyway these emails are stored on Virgin infrastructure and I can get them back somehow?

Thanks

15 REPLIES 15

Hi silvercue, 

Thanks for sticking with us on this one. 

I've tried taking a look at the IT ticket but it doesn't look as though the agent noted the reference number. Did they give you  reference number by any chance? 

Without this, I'm not able to chase the ticket. 

Based on what has been said though, I would suspect the mails are gone. 

Apologies once again. 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

silvercue
On our wavelength

The only place I think this could possibly have happened from is my Ipad using teh default Apple Mail client.  However, there is nothing in the deleted items folder other than what I deleted manually...so doesn't make sense 

@jem101 wrote:

If it only affects the inbox, that that’s quite a strong hint as to at some point a POP3 connection has been set up (maybe inadvertently), POP3 will pull down the contents of the inbox and marked them as all ‘dealt with and can be deleted’ (not entirely accurate but close enough).

Virgin Media handles the POP protocol in a non standard way: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/POP3-Behaviour/td-p/2994032

This has meant that deleting emails in an email client using POP3 doesn’t delete the emails from the server, but hides them from the client and so may be viewed when accessing the mailbox using webmail.

Setting up a different email client using POP should download all emails in the Inbox to the alternative client.

If they can't be seen using webmail then they have been deleted by some other method.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.

I will look at trying this, though I am not sure what client / device etc I can use to set up a new POP3 connection.....any ideas welcome

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The point of fact @Sololobo made highlights how unlikely it is that use of POP3 contributed to the loss of emails. Based on your posts here it is regrettably clearer that the lost emails are unrecoverable and that the cause is likely to remain speculative.

Our apologies again for any frustration with this silvercue.

If you have been unable to retrieve them at this point it is likely they will be lost. 

^Martin