cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

everything over a day old vanished form Inbox

silvercue
On our wavelength

Using Outlook Client and Windows 10

All of my Virgin Inbox, apart from last yesterday and today have gone.  They are not in deleted items (or trash as it is called in my outlook).    So I can't restore them from there or the server.

If I look on other devices, such as Ipad, or Virgin Webmail or different email clients - it is the same - all gone with no obvious way to recover.

I did use email on Ipad the other day and wondering if that has somehow caused an issue.

Anyway, aside from how this has happened - is there anyway these emails are stored on Virgin infrastructure and I can get them back somehow?

Thanks

15 REPLIES 15

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Regrettably if the missing emails cannot be found via webmail they are deemed unrecoverable.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

This is quite upsetting.    Surely they can't disappear without a trace?  

Hi @silvercue,

Thank you for your posts and welcome back to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm very sorry to hear that you're having some problems with some missing emails. I'm afraid that if they're missing in your webmail inbox and you're unable to find them in either your trash folder or junk/spam folder then they will have been deleted permanently.

Do you have the affected email account set up as POP3 on any other devices via an email client? This would've downloaded the emails from the server onto the device.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

silvercue
On our wavelength

Hi Zach_R

I have logged a call with Virgin Media who have raised  a ticket to look into whether they can be restored from any backups.  

I thought that I had some set up as POP3, but all devices and OS/email clients are showing exactly the same issue - all emails gone, none in any deleted items/trash etc, which leads me to believe this is an issue on Virgin Media's infrastructure.  

@silvercue I feel I really should set the expectations here - despite what you have been told, there are no backups, that was simply a ‘get you off the phone’ move by customer services.

Incidentally, you say that most of the email from your inbox has gone, what about sent items and any other sub folders of the inbox?

silvercue
On our wavelength

Other folders seem unaffected.  Hard to tell with deleted items as I regularly empty it

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @silvercue,

Thank you for coming back to us about this issue. I'm sorry to hear that this problem is still ongoing. I can see that you have been assisted by @jem101 on this issue.

Have you heard back from our IT team about this issue since the ticket was raised? If so, what was advised?

Keep us updated so we can see what we can do to help.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi .@Paulina_Z    I have not heard back yet.  They said it would take 7 days

If it only affects the inbox, that that’s quite a strong hint as to at some point a POP3 connection has been set up (maybe inadvertently), POP3 will pull down the contents of the inbox and marked them as all ‘dealt with and can be deleted’ (not entirely accurate but close enough). If that has happened, them I’m afraid they need to be considered as gone for good, unless you can find the device where POP3 was set up and as long as the account hasn’t been deleted on it, then the missing inbox emails should be there.

FYi, POP3 has no concept of subfolders and doesn’t do anything with Send Items etc - which, if you say are all intact, then really points to a misconfigured client device somewhere. Once POP3 has ‘downloaded’ the inbox and marked all the mail items, then IMAP will assume they have all been deleted and so delete them on all other devices as well.