cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

emails wrongly marked as unread

mikes2400
Fibre optic

I use Mozilla Firefox's Thunderbird as an email client for my Virgin Mail (Blueyonder) account. For some time now Thunderbird keeps marking my emails as Unread even after I've read them.

I use the Thunderbird setting "Automatically mark as read" but, although it does do that correctly when I click on a message in my Inbox, as soon as I archive the message it goes back to showing it in bold as 'Unread' in the Thunderbird Archive folder. This never used to happen.

I know this is essentially a Thunderbird - not a Virgin - problem, but I got no response on the Mozilla forum so hope someone here can make sense of it.

26 REPLIES 26

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello mikes2400.

Thankyou for your post.

I will be honest and say. We don't have a support scope for Thunderbird issues on our Forums, but we do have a little bit of knowledge from past issues.

Have you tried checking this in Safe Mode 

Gareth_L

I haven't tried Safe Mode, but I've tried changing various settings that are relevant and none of the changes make any difference. I haven't got any Thunderbird add-ons.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@mikes2400 

It might be worth seeing if you can get help from the Thunderbird support forum here: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/products/thunderbird

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Did you try creating a new Windows account and seeing if the issue persists there also?

"It might be worth seeing if you can get help from the Thunderbird support forum here: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/products/thunderbird"

As I said in my original post, I tried posting this question on the Thunderbird forum, and no-one replied. It is a very poor forum and not many people use it. And it doesn't seem possible to contact Thunderbird support iin any other way.

@用心棒 wrote:

Did you try creating a new Windows account and seeing if the issue persists there also?

Thanks, but I'd rather not open a new windows account (or a new profile as previously suggested).

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@mikes2400 wrote:

@用心棒 wrote:

Thanks, but I'd rather not open a new windows account (or a new profile as previously suggested).

Requests to create a new Thunderbird profile or a new user account in Windows are commonly used troubleshooting options when an issue cannot be easily reproduced. I do have empathy with your reluctance to create a new Thunderbird Profile given your earlier experience and that is why I suggested create a new user account in Windows because it will:

• not impact your current Thunderbird settings or profile
  • will let you test if the issue also occurs under the new Windows user account with Thunderbird
  • as you will only be moving messages to and from an archive folder there is no more risk of losing emails than that you currently face.

The other option is to enable IMAP logging but given your reluctance to try the easier troubleshooting options mentioned already I fear then this also might be a step too far outside of your comfort zone. I am therefore stumped at present how best to help further.