cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

emails sent not received by recipients

KenWishae
On our wavelength

Hi there,

I have been recently been made aware that emails sent from my virginmedia.com email account on my desktop [MOD EDIT: Email address removed] @ virginmedia.com to my Scottish brother in laws email account at sky.com on 5 January 2022 and from my wife's desktop virginmedia.com email [MOD EDIT: Email address removed] @ virginmedia.com to her brother in law in USA whose email account is with sbcglobal.net. 

We have used these mail addresses for several years without any problem. In both cases the emails have been recorded in our respective sent boxes on both accounts and in neither case did we receive any non delivery message. Neither email included any other link - they were only text.

In my case I had put a read receipt message request but none was received either and I contacted the recipient who confirmed that he had not received my email.

In the case of my wife's email to her brother in USA this was about a wedding invitation to his daughters wedding and we only found out about non receipt when we phoned him some 10 days later - this was very embarrassing. 

We are not aware at this stage of other potential non receipt of items but I do use my mail address for business mails as part of a charity I am involved in.  Up until Mid December 2021 I am not aware of any non receipt issues.

Have there have been some system upgrades that could have caused problems?

Look forward to an early reply please.

20 REPLIES 20

BillC45
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Did b-in-law confirm sky.com email -

webmail or client such as Outlook

not in inbox

not in spam folder

no filters on incoming emails?

I have to be elsewhere this afternoon - will be back early evening.

Any other views welcome.

KenWishae
On our wavelength

Hi BillC45

Confirm that sky.com account is via a client - Yahoo.com

Test email NOT in Inbox folder

Test email was in Spam folder even though my email address is in his email address book and has been for some time.

He has not put any filters on incoming mail.

The test email to gmail account was received very quickly but it took a bit longer for the sky.com account.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@KenWishae @BillC45 

I believe that Sky, AOL and Yahoo email all use the same back end systems.  There has been an ongoing issue for some months between Virginmedia and AOL/Yahoo emails where mail from Viginmedia is being marked as spam, so I am not entirely surprised if this is also affecting emails to sky addresses.

The workaround is usually for the recipient to mark the email as not spam once received in the spam folder. Having done this once future email should go to the inbox.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks Graham_A.  I'll pass this on to my brother-in-law.  Even if this work around sorts out for sky.com it doesn't sort the issue in USA for emails to sbcglobal.net which Bill tells me is hosted by AT&T.

Meantime many thanks for this info.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@KenWishae  A quick internet search suggests that sbcglobal.net emails are also now part of the yahoo family.  Third party link: attyahoosbcglobalpacbell-email-addresses-are-problematic 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

Thanks again Graham_A.  I have now heard from my USA brother-in-law and he has found the original and test emails in his junk folder and sorted along the lines of what you suggest.  So I have just sent another test email to him

BillC45
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

We have been aware for some time that there have been problems with VM email user communications to Yahoo and AOL email services.

It’s looking like Sky and sbcglobal may have joined the growing Yahoo club.

The primary issue has been running for some time without any satisfactory resolution in sight. If still more services are added to the Yahoo banner, things will probably get worse before they get any better. You could try suggesting to your relatives that you all use dedicated Gmail accounts for family communications.

KenWishae
On our wavelength

Hi BillC45, I note what you say however the solution you suggest is quite unsatisfactory from my perspective. As my b-in-law in Scotland has a gmail account I have amended my VM address book to show that as his primary email address.

I have no intention of setting up a gmail account just so I can use it on the few occasions I need to email some of my family members. Likewise I do not intend asking my American b-in-law to set up a gmail account for the few emails we send each other.  For important matters we will now use Whats App or Messenger or revert to telephoning. To resolve my situation I have had to turn off my Norton VPN to send emails to preferably to gmail accoounts. I'm sorry but this is a mickey mouse string and chewing gum solution.  

The fact that VM has been aware of this for sometime is appalling and unsatisfactory: if the situation does get worse as you suggest it might then VM bosses need to get their fingers out and get this resolved and get the interfaces fixed. VM charge plenty for their services with annual fee increases thrown in and I expect them to provide an email service which interfaces seamlessly with all ISPs - that is why we pay monthly fees. To let this issue persist is nothing short of abdication of their customer service responsibilties. We should be receiving a rebate on our broadband costs. Never mind always boasting about ever increasing broadband speeds get the system fixed so that it works.  Maybe that's why the Yahoo/AOL/ATT platform is growing and yours isn't.

Feel free to pass my comments on to whosoever at the top is responsible and I bet he won't read them.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@KenWishae  I agree with the main sentiment here regarding this issue, however, the problem is being caused by the Yahoo email operation not by Virgin Media.

Neither @BillC45 nor I work for Virgin Media but we have been long standing members of this community, a position recognised by VM with our VIP status.

We have raised the issue of VM to yahoo emails with the VM staff team and have been pushing them since last year to seek a resolution with the email management team responsible for the yahoo family of email domains.

I will continue to push them on this.

Hi Graham_A, many thanks for your further comments. 

Whilst I realised from our earlier communications that you weren't VM staff I wasn't aware that BillC45 wasn't either. I'm sorry that I have vented my anger and frustration out on you guys but this situation needs resolved.  Please accept my apologies if I have offended either of you and I wish you well in continuing to progress this issue up the management line.