cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

emails older then 5 days not displayed

BenClackson
Tuning in

My wife (the secondary email of my account) has a new problem: her Inbox is only showing the emails received in the last 5 days. But she has not deleted the emails received earlier. Each day the five day window advances so that she stops seeing another day's emails.

In her Settings | Filters, no filters are listed. Any other ideas what could explain this behaviour?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The reason I asked this is because on VM's system currently, when a POP3 client "deletes" a mail, it's not actually deleted.  It's just hidden from all future POP3 transactions by adding a special flag..  The mail is normally still visible to IMAP clients, which includes the webmail platform itself.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Is this occurring in webmail or an email client?

In webmail try:

• selecting the folder where the missing email should be
  • in the Search field enter 2021 and select 2021 as date from the suggestions offered
  • does the returned search result contain the missing emails?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for your reply. It was webmail of which I spoke, so I tried your recommendation, which I can see would clear any previous search term, but it didn't show up any new emails.

However we now realise that the emails displayed are not actually just the last 5 days, but all the days since the mailbox was last read by my wife's email client (Outlook), which was a week ago. This seems to be because in the Outlook settings for the account, the box "Leave a copy of messages on server" is not now ticked. It seems clear this is not a Virgin Media problem after all, so I apologise for my Post.

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I'm assuming the Outlook account is set up using POP3 - is this the case?

Tim

Yes - POP3

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The reason I asked this is because on VM's system currently, when a POP3 client "deletes" a mail, it's not actually deleted.  It's just hidden from all future POP3 transactions by adding a special flag..  The mail is normally still visible to IMAP clients, which includes the webmail platform itself.

Tim

Thank you very much: I didn't know that and it enables me to improve the configuration of the Outlook email client.

Ben

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The recommendation is, that if you are using viewing the same account on multiple devices, you switch from POP3 to IMAP anyway.

Tim

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Given the missing emails could not have been deleted from the server by your wife or Outlook, and that no other explanation can be found, do consider following the (precautionary) advice here https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-account-has-been-hacked

BTW in webmail did you check the Trash folder for the missing emails?