Menu
Highlighted
MacNala2
Dialled in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

emails from my new website

I am trying to setup a new website and initially want send all emails to one of my Virginmedia.com email addresses. The website runs Ubuntu and I have installed postfix. When I read about setting up postfix it talks about 'setting up the smtp gateway to receive emails from my domain/s'.

Does this mean that I need to make a change to my email address on virginmedia.com or will it just accept the emails addressed to me?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: emails from my new website

Postfix is an SMTP server so it can be used in different ways.

Sending mail for your own domain directly (not recommended from a VM residential IP)
Receiving inbound mail for your domain. (not recommended on a VM residential IP)
relaying mail on for third party domains via that domains servers.

It should be stressed that the caveats on the first two actually apply to any residential IP address

Usually if you have a server on a residential connection, you'd be more interested in the last option.

However if you have PHP installed on your server, Consider using PHP mailer in your web code instead.  You sound like you are pretty new to email server configurations, and PHP mailer will let you avoid the fun of amending the various files needed to get postfix doing what you want.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

MacNala2
Dialled in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I may not have been specific enough in my question, and yes you are right I am a novice at running a website.

The website in question is hosted by a third party and is of the VPS variety. They leave it up to you to install the software you want to run.

I want to allow emails to arrive at the website but except for a few specific users all be forwarded to one of my Virginmedia.com email addresses. The exceptions are postmaster and my main user on the website, not surprisingly named Alan. I have installed postfix on the website but trying to configure it is a nightmare. I have tried following a few of the many YouTube videos and articles on the subject but they all seem to be out of date or not covering what I want. My question remains if I manage to configure postfix to send email to one of my Virginmedia email addresses are there any changes I have to make to ensure they are received?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@MacNala2 wrote:

I want to allow emails to arrive at the website

Inbound emails aren't sent to a website.  You need to separate the workings of the two.

Also I would think very carefully about the consequences of forwarding email from one address to another, as anti spoofing measures can cause no end of fun.  If email matters to you, either host it on your VPS or have a professional service host it for you.  I certainly wouldn't relay on a VM inbox.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
MacNala2
Dialled in
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Tim,

Thanks for replying.

I am still confused by your answer. I believe you when you say emails do not arrive at a website. I was using a shorthand way of saying emails that arrive at the website's mali handler eg alan@newVPS.co.uk arrive and are read by mail.newVPS,co.uk application it is what happens after that I am having trouble with.

You mention anti-spoofing measures causing fun (I think you mean trouble). Would you be able to be more precise, By anti-spoofing measures do you mean DMARC or DKIM or SPF? and how do these apply to [smtp.virginmedia.com].

I have no intention of trying to forward emails from a VM inbox except in manual mode through a browser.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi MacNala2,

I'm sorry that you've had difficulty configuring your emails for your new site. Have you managed to get to the bottom of this since your last comment to @ravenstar68?

Thanks,

Rachael

0 Kudos
MacNala2
Dialled in
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rachael,

I do not have a viable answer yet. I have been told that it is not important if the emails are sent to a Virginmedia.com address the mail will be delivered correctly. My question is still outstanding: are there any modifications that I have to make to ensure successful delivery. I touched on the subject of DMARC SPF and DKIM and have not seen any reply to that question.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hey Macnala2,

Have you checked to make sure that all the setting are correct to match our servers?

Hi @ravenstar, do you have any suggestion or any further details that you could give to MacNala2?

Thanks

Steven_L

0 Kudos
MacNala2
Dialled in
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@Steven_L

It would have been more helpful instead of saying Have you checked to make sure that all the setting are correct to match our servers? if you were to quote the pages that contain the settings. I do not know what settings you mean.

Does this apply to my question concerning DMARC, DKIM or SPF? I still have no answer on that subject!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Sorry MacNala2, I could have given a lot more details than I did on the previous post and I apologise reservedly that I didn't add this detail on last time.

The settings that I referred to are on our website and you can find them here, Please could you take a look at these settings and let me know if they match the settings that you have got setup on your server.

Thanks

Steven_L 

0 Kudos