cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email trash folder

ALF28
Super solver

TRASH FOLDER-sub folders appeared.

Today I noticed a stack of sub folders in my trash about 20, it was folders that I had deleted in the past but all empty. I logged in and out and they had gone next time I logged in.

I discovered if I click on the bin sign they all come back but each one would have to be deleted separately in the folder  options.

My understanding was that trash deletes after 7 days, perhaps this does not apply to deleted folders which are put as trash sub folders and not deleted after 7 days  but retained permanently.

Perhaps this is safety feature to prevent accidental deletion of folders?

Checked the imap settings and trash is included by default and can not be unticked but the sub folders of trash can be unticked (all ticked at present), so basically any deleted folder just becomes a sub folder of trash.

GMAIL

Strange that gmail is still listed in the imap settings but greyed out-why is it still there?

At one time I did have a GMAIL folder but not there now, presume it was deleted by virgin.

The virgin email did work via gmail some time ago, I even had a virgin gmail log in which I managed to delete a year or so back as spam was coming via the gmail folder.

ALF28

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

When Google ceased email services to ISPs in 2015 Virgin Media moved the user's mailbox content to a [Gmail] folder in their service.

Trash folder's menu option Empty trash permanently purges folders and messages, i.e. I am not having to manually do this. Are you able to describe the steps to reproduce the issue.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

ALF28
Super solver

gmail

the sub folders in gmail imap setting -6 folders are ticked but do not show in my email folders- what are these-why still in imap settings if virgin mail is not linked to gmail?

all mail

chats

drafts

important

sent mail

starred

the gmail folder have now appeared in my email as folders if I tick in imap settings
so why do I have gmail folders available in my virgin mail, are they redundant or still active.
I even have a sent mail - mail delivery failure listed in gmail sent folder which is most unusual.
alf28

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

When Google ceased email services to ISPs in 2015 Virgin Media moved the user's mailbox content to a [Gmail] folder in their service.

Trash folder's menu option Empty trash permanently purges folders and messages, i.e. I am not having to manually do this. Are you able to describe the steps to reproduce the issue.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for the help-solved

I Did the empty trash option and has deleted the trash subfolders, so hope they do not return.

Not sure why they suddenly appeared but they are gone now.

The gmail folder is historic and I presume a hangover from 2015 when virgin used gmail as pointed out, my gmail sub folder are empty now but some customers may still have stored emails in the folders, I just had one entry in 2019 (unusual but in wrong folder) that I have moved elsewhere, so my gmail sub folders should remain empty now.

alf28

GMAIL FOLDER?

The gmail folder  has sub folders that can be deleted, but the gmail folder can not be deleted itself, and is it in my folders it is odd that it can not be deleted.

When using an email client the gmail folder does not show, but gmail sub folders do show.

It  is confusing to have 6 extra folders that have are called- all mail, chats, drafts, important, sent mail and starred, so I see no harm in deleting them out, or should they remain?

Is this gmail folder still linked to gmail, or under the control of virgin, and is there any reason for it still to be there.

alf28

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

[Gmail] folder is under Virgin Media's control and if you have no need of the subfolders it contains then it is safe to delete them.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As per the message above it is possible to delete the Gmail folder and its subfolders from the VM Mail system.  If I recall correctly the subfolders need to be deleted first before deleting the parent folder.  I deleted them from my system years ago, not long after the switch over.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

GMAIL FOLDER

Thanks for the replies, I have deleted out my gmail sub folders as I do not now use them, since virgin no longer use gmail servers. The gmail folder [gmail]  still remains and can not be deleted but is empty, and is a hangover from the past. I also deleted out my virgin/gmail email address some time ago from gmail, it still existed until I deleted it out.

I do have a new gmail address which is separate now.

alf28

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you access the VM email account via email clients using the IMAP server you need to delete the GMAIL folder from each client before finally deleting it from the webmail page.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks