Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

email send error VM520 Recipient domain invalid

I have moved to Virgin broadband 24 hours ago and, despite having successfully set up several email accounts, I am having considerable difficulty emailing my contacts list to tell them of my new email address. Using Mail on MacBook Pro.

Some recipients on the list may get the email but I keep getting the same error message with commonly used recipient domains like gmail, yahoo, hotmail, iCloud, btopenworld

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: email send error VM520 Recipient domain invalid

At this juncture would it not be sensible to use an email service that is:

• not linked to your continued use of an ISP; Virgin Media mail account is deleted 90 days after broadband service is terminated
  • as secure, or more so, than the services it will be used with

As for the issue raised by your post the forum team are best placed take this forward, post back here if you still want it raised with them.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Looking at the error message (Recipient Domain Invalid), makes me wonder whether there is an issue with the addresses in your contact list.

Are you able to give us a definite example domain that produces this message.  i.e.  If you check the address in your contact list and then if the address is someaddress@gmail.com

Then just post gmail.com

Please copy and paste the domain itself though.

I've just tried sending to my icloud.com and my gmail.com address and they both sent fine using smtp.virginmedia.com

If this was a server issue I'd expect to see the Forum fill up with similar posts very quickly.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

gmail.com, bigfoot.com, hotmail.com, me.com, yahoo.co.uk, openwork.uk.com, mac.com, ntlworld.com, btinternet.com, cantab.net, msn.com have all bounced with the above error code. This is not an exhaustive list.
However, some hotmail.com users have received the email.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

you seem to misunderstand. Virginmedia is my new mail account, and using it has generated the error message. As stated in my original post, I have just moved to Virginmedia from another provider.
Yes I do still want it raised with whomever can resolve it.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I should add the error message commences "the server smtp.virginmedia.com did not recognise the following recipients"
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Are you sending one email to multiple recipients or sending one email to each individual address?

Apple has had previous issues when sending bulk emails through Apple Mail, resulting in the error message you are seeing. That's why I'm asking.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

@one-eye wrote:
you seem to misunderstand. Virginmedia is my new mail account, and using it has generated the error message. As stated in my original post, I have just moved to Virginmedia from another provider.
Yes I do still want it raised with whomever can resolve it.

Actually you seem to have misunderstood the post by 用心棒. 

They were suggesting that you would be better served by not using a virginmedia mail account at all, but instead set up a new email account independent of your internet service provider (Virgin Media). eg. an MS Outlook or Gmail account to mention just two of those available.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

one email to multiple recipients. (It would be an enormous pain to have to notify all friends individually of the change in email address).
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

OK thanks, but that would be a major limitation of moving to VirginMedia as an ISP, one which was not a problem with my previous ISP, and one which I would have expected Virgin to disclose ahead of selling me a package.
0 Kudos