cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email not working

brackensroad
Dialled in

hello -

after being locked out of my email account, again, last week, allegedly because one of my devices had malware, I changed my password.

to effect this seemingly simple change, it took a very, very long time on the phone with customer support.

the result: got my email back on my laptop, but now it's blocked on my iPhone. VM's "gadget rescue" were meant to call. they never did, and still haven't. 

so, no email on my iPhone, still.

and now, out of nowhere today, I was thrown out of my email + that new password stopped being recognised on my laptop. it is definitely not wrong, but there's the dread message: "We didn't recognise the username or password you entered. Please try again."

then when I try password reset, I get the message that my answer to my security question - my mother's maiden name - is wrong. it definitely isn't wrong; I know my mother's maiden name. or it just repeats the page.

I'm at my wit's end. A familiar feeling, tbf, with VM.

lest I spend another excruciatingly long period (and an arm and a leg) on the phone, can anyone help with a fix for the password-suddenly-not-recognised problem so I can re-access my inbox?

many thanks. 

10 REPLIES 10

Whiskeymanuk
Tuning in

Hi, I've just had the same thing. I forwarded two emails to phishing@virginmedia, then I got a message saying my account had been blocked. No explanation, just telling me to try and log in to change my password. Mmm, that's difficult if my account is locked.

Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi 

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome back, sorry to hear you are again having issues where you aren't able to ,log into your Emails on any devices, are you also locked out of your online account as well as Emails?

Regards

Paul.

Hi Whiskeymanuk,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome back, sorry to hear your online account was suspended and that you weren't able to get back in, when this happened it is usually down to us picking up suspicious activity this may be down to the Spam Email you had received.

When this happens we advise changing to password to something totally different to ones used previously, also we advise running an anti virus software on all devices, top change the password you select forgotten password and answer the alternative security question.

Have you done this and been able to get back in now?

Regards

Paul.

Thanks Paul. After a 20-minute phone call with customer service, I was able to reset my password (again) and get back into my emails on my laptop.

No explanation, though, as to why my new password wasn't being recognised, nor why my (correct) answer to my security question was flagged as incorrect.

Any intel on that?

I still can't get emails on my iPhone, tho, due to my settings still somehow turning incorrect after a previous call to customer service. 

I have the number for Gadget Rescue but haven't had time to call them yet.

Hi brackensroad,

Thank you for reaching back out to me, if the account was blocked due to suspicious activity this may have stopped the password change and put a block on the account, as advised when this happens you do need to change the password the wat we advised or we can do this when you call in.

In regards to your Emails not working on your iPhone I advise resetting this up and then put the new password in, you can find our Email settings here.

Regards

Paul.

Thanks Paul, will investigate. 

Hi brackensroad,

I have some advise from one of our VIP's so will need to send this to our Internet Security team for support, so I can help further I will send you an invite into a private chat, once received click on the purple envelope to accept.

Regards

Paul.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for responding. I did manage to reset my password, after several attempts. I have no idea why that particular account was considered dangerous, because it is a secondary account, and only used for specific contacts. There were 3 phishing emails, which were so obviously not from Virgin Media. It was after I had forwarded the second one to VM that suddenly my account was blocked. Anyway, it seems to be okay now.

It is a bit worrying that a security generated multi-character password, longer than 10 characters, was not acceptable to VM, for this account, yet all my other VM passwords are 16-20 characters long.

Whiskeymanuk

There is a very easy way to stop all these email problems, and never having to phone in again for support.  It takes two simple steps :

1. Open up a new email account with Gmail, Yahoo or Outlook. Use it for all your email from now on. 

2. Set up an auto forward from the Virgin email to your new email address. 

That's it! 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.