Menu
Highlighted
maryharman
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

email not marked as read

I am using virgin webmail, I have a virgin.net address. For the last few weeks, when I read an email it stays marked as unread and I have to mark it as read manually.  However, if it is in spam it clears properly. Any ideas? Mary

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Rising star
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: email not marked as read

Someone had a similar issue last year, see if reading this helps.  Try clearing your cache/cookies/history in your browser.  Then play around with your view and sort by settings to see if there is any other option that you like and works better.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/emails-not-marked-as-read-until-images-downloaded/td-p/38...

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'
maryharman
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

This is not really the same problem, but I have found a solution on another part of the forum, so thanks for trying.

The problem occurs when the emails are sorted "unread first". If you sort them date first everything works as expected.  I am sure that this has only recently happened.  Reading emails on apps (tablets and phones - android) does not seem to be affected.  However, using any windows browser, e.g. Edge or Chrome seems to leave the emails marked as unread unless you manually mark them, a tedious procedure when you get about 70 per day.  So I have changed to reading them date first.  Hope this helps someone!

MissPasko
Rising star
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Good for you, maryharman.  You should mark your own post as the Helpful Answer.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'
0 Kudos
Essex52
Dialled in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I have been tearing my hair out trying to work out why emails in one of my accounts suddenly stopped being marked as read automatically when I clicked on them and read them - and your answer solved it for me :-) 

@maryharman wrote:

This is not really the same problem, but I have found a solution on another part of the forum, so thanks for trying.

The problem occurs when the emails are sorted "unread first". If you sort them date first everything works as expected.  I am sure that this has only recently happened.  Reading emails on apps (tablets and phones - android) does not seem to be affected.  However, using any windows browser, e.g. Edge or Chrome seems to leave the emails marked as unread unless you manually mark them, a tedious procedure when you get about 70 per day.  So I have changed to reading them date first.  Hope this helps someone!

maryharman
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

glad to have been of help

Mary