Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

email log in failure

I am unable to log in to my virgin.net email account. I know that the details I entered are correct. I also tried the "forgotten password" route and answered the security questions correctly (mothers maiden name and my DOB) pretty sure I know them. Still no joy.

I see from previous threads that virgin are de-activating free email accounts, however I think a bit of notice would have been in order. I and I am sure other people have info in emails that is only available there as most things such as car insurance, home insurance to mention just 2, are all done online now. 

Is there any way that I can retrieve those emails so that I can contact these companies and friends to give them a new email address.

I have been a Virgin email user of 20 years+ and I feel this treatment is pretty disgusting

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: email log in failure

If you are not a paying broadband customer, then VM will not assist.  When they find orphan addresses taking up server space, they delete them.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Orphan-Email-accounts/td-p/3492073/

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Closure-of-former-customer-email-accounts/td-p/4092021/

However, I can give you a tip that might help temporarily.  The webmail access is usually the first thing to close.  Run your address through mailtester.com.  If invalid - it is gone and no hope of recovery.  If showing valid, then the mailbox is still in the system.  You can try using an email client (outlook, thunderbird, tablet/phone app) to access it if you know the password.

Then back up your emails, tell all your contacts and ASK VM to delete it manually.  If any bad actor guesses the password (hacks into it), then you are risking your personal and financial details to be stolen.

Choose a new email not linked to your ISP so there is less chance of this happening again.  Choose one with support and security equal to what you are using if for.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hello

Are you still a Virginmedia Broadband customer as if you are not then all support can do is delete the account, as any email accounts are only supplied with a current account.

You can find mire info at https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/POWER-LEVELS-amp-SNR-A-TECHNICAL-PRIMER-upd... and https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Closure-of-former-customer-email-accounts/m-p/4092021.

If you are still a customer then the support can move the old email addresses to your account but that will replace any that you currently have.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sedgers

Welcome to the forums, 

Can you check if the email address is still vaild here https://mailtester.com/ 

Kind regards 

Chris 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

• Hi, thank you for that. I ran mailtester and it said the account was valid. How can I now get to my inbox to retrieve old emails. I might need a step by step walkthrough, sorry. 
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sedgers,

Can I confirm do you have an active broadband account with ourselves?

^Martin

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Martin, thanks for the reply. 

No I do not have a broadband account. I have a virgin.net email address only. Have had it for 20+ years but suddenly it got deactivated.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Then I"m afraid if you are not a current customer then VM cannot and will not help you in any way to gain access to that mailbox. All you can do is to try the advice given my @MissPasko in the second post in this thread to see if you can temporarily gain access using an email client rather than webmail as the lattter is the first to be removed.

VM have never had a 'free email' service it has always been predicated on you have a broadband service with them - the history of the virgin.net service is slightly more complicated but basically the same. What should happen is that some 90 days or so after you cancel your broadband service with them, the mailbox and the associated address(es) are deleted. You would have been notified of this at the time and it certainly would have been in the initial T&C that you signed up for. VM have been somewhat lax in doing his and in cases, such as yours, these mailboxes have been overlooked and left live. They are now being more aggressive in sweeping for and deleting these orphaned mailboxes, but since the moment you cancelleded your broadband account, this address has always been living on borrowed time.

I'm afraid that if you can't access it via a mail client - and time really is of the essence here - and copy out any mail you want to keep, then the mailbox is irretrievably gone.

Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sedgers, 

Have you tried accessing the email address via a client as suggested by @MissPasko? If so, did this give you access? 

Thanks 

Nat
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi jem101, thank you for that.

Just to clarify, I have never had a Virgin broadband account. When I originally signed up to the email, 20+ years ago broadband hadn't even been invented, I used dial up. VM did not give me any notice of closure for my email I just couldn't sign in on Jan 9th this year. If they had informed me, I might have swapped broadband to them, but not now. I will never use any Virgin services again. What they have done is disgusting.

0 Kudos