Menu
ZeroZero
Dialled in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

email forwarding issues

I am having trouble forwarding email. I have two accounts that I forward to Gmail. One is my "regular" account lets call this account a. This account works fine all emails are forwarded  to my gmail account.

The second account account B is a secondary account and it does not forward to my gmail account.

The settings on both accounts are identical and have been treble checked.

I have phoned Virgin and they did not help, they even had trouble grasping the issue. It's simple, I want to forward two email accounts to my gmail, 

Can anyone help please

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: email forwarding issues

Does this thread help:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Auto-forwarding-from-VM-Mail/td-p/3917379

And you've asked about forwarding before:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/How-to-get-Virgin-email-to-forward-live/m-p/21219...

is your latest issue linked and do you need to expand on what you ahve already, helpfully, told us about the account you are trying to forward.

-----------------------

Superuser 18/19.
Use Kudos to say thanks
Tick an answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
coenoby
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@ZeroZero wrote:
Can anyone help please

Just a thought.

If you have set the auto forward using that facility in VM Webmail, one thing that is easily overlooked is that you have the tick the box to enable auto forwarding. See below.

Coenoby

Auto forward.png

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
ZeroZero
Dialled in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you all

Replies to above. 

Yes I have posted before - a year or more ago, I got it working then

Yes I have all the boxes checked in the Virgin forwarding page

My primary email forwards to gmail successfully

My secondary email does not, but it can receive and send emails. 

I have been thru to Virgin again they could not resolve they state that both emails are working properly

Both have the same settings and the same forwarding address

They say the problem is with gmail

So I checked with Gmail settings. 

My gmail is "fetching" or "getting"  my messages from my primary Virgin account. 

So, I set up gmail to do the same for my secondary account (the one with the problem) 

All went through with gmail and I got a confirmation email to say so

It's still not working.

If I send an email from my gmail account to this secondary virgin account what should happen, and what I want to happen is... the email should arrive at Virgin - the secondary account, then get forwarded back to the gmail account, leaving a copy on virgin (I have this set as an option in gmail) .

What actually happens is this: the email leaves from gmail, arrives in spam at my virgin secondary account, then I click "not spam" and it disappears, it does not arrive in inbox at either virgin or gmai

I am totally confuzzled,

0 Kudos
coenoby
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@ZeroZero wrote:

I am totally confuzzled,

With all due respect  I think you are confusing yourself here. Smiley Happy

You say:

"My gmail is "fetching" or "getting"  my messages from my primary Virgin account." If by that you mean you  are using Gmail's "Check emails from other accounts" option see https://support.google.com/mail/answer/21289?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en

then you do not need to use VM's auto forward option as well. They both do the same thing.Smiley Wink

"then get forwarded back to the gmail account, leaving a copy on virgin (I have this set as an option in gmail) "

If have autoforward set in you VM email account you will also need to tick the 'Keep a copy of the message' box in the VM autoforward page.

Then looking at "email leaves from gmail, arrives in spam at my virgin secondary account, then I click "not spam" and it disappears, it does not arrive in inbox at either virgin or gmai(l)"

The reason for that is that is that VM's autoforward function only works on emails that arrive straight into your Inbox. VM's autoforward still won't work even after you move an email from the spam folder to your inbox.

If you are going to use autoforward or Gmail's "Check emails from other accounts" option it is best to reset your VM spam filter to 'Turn off all spam filtering'. the instructions are here https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

All new emails to your VM email account will then go straight to your inbox in your VM account. Once they get forwarded to Gmail, the spam filter in Gmail will send any spam messages to the spam folder in your Gmail account.

Coenoby

If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
ZeroZero
Dialled in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Coenby, stopping the spam filter has worked! 

Your statement about not requiring settings in BOTH gmail AND virgin is, I am sure, true. My opinion then is thus....

It was gmail "fetching" my primary email that was working, rather than Virgin "forwarding". I recall now that when I set this up over a year ago, it was gmail settings that functioned.

Virgin forwarding is not therefore working for both email addresses.

Anyway, it seems to work after I unapplied the spam filter in Virgin. I can write a an email addressed to the secondary virgin email, using gmail, then it goes to the virgin secondary account, a copy is then sent back to gmail which is what I wanted. 

Great! 

coenoby
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@ZeroZero wrote:

Thank you Coenby, stopping the spam filter has worked!

Great! 

That's good news. I'm glad that you now have achieved the result that you were looking for...............by whatever means. Smiley Happy

Coenoby

Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

With regards to this

stopping the spam filter has worked!

I would be asking myself why the mails being marked as spam.  

When you say you are sending from Gmail - how long ago did you set this up?

The reason I ask is that originally Gmail set up their service to send as 3rd party addresses, they sent using their own servers.  However in more recent years users adding this feature actually send using their own email providers servers.

This is because features such as DMARC which are being added to stop mail spoofing will cause these mails to either be marked as spam or in the worst case rejected.

Virgin emails sent using the old Gmail setup will end up in people's spam folders both when being sent and when being forwarded.

For my part I've just tested Virgin Media's email forwarding when sending using Gmails webmail platform using my blueyonder address..  The forwarding worked properly.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.