cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email cannot sign in

danie1991
Dialled in

on virgin media site i cannot sign into my email since friday evening i get msg saying try later.it happens frequently.last time it happened i was told to change password and it wouldnt happen again

and it worked but it has happened again.i have read on forum of it happening to someone else. i can see it on phone if it was site i would not be able to see other acs i can see media and mobile acs ok.im fed up as ot keeps happening.

11 REPLIES 11

could do with your help again.on a regular basis i am unable to retrieve emails on virgin media page.i can see them on phone it lasts a week and comes back it has now happened again and i would like to know why it kee[s happening.last time i changed password and it wouldt happen again but it has,

i always get same msg try in an hour

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@danie1991 wrote:
could do with your help again.  
i would like to know why it keeps happening

So would a lot of people. 🤔

The original message from Virgin Media (in the post I linked to in my earlier reply) was that it "may be due to our spam and abuse system being updated."

VM remain tight lipped on exactly what that "spam and abuse" system is looking for. 

Personally, I assume it is looking for signs that indicate an email account is being, or has been, hacked and also any signs that your email account or IP address is being used to send spam. There is no suggestion that the VM customer is sending the spam by the way. It could well be coming from malware somewhere on your home network,

If the system finds evidence of such activity it locks the account producing the "mailbox unavailable" scenario you keep seeing. The account then remains locked until the customer resets the password to something completely new.

However, there is obviously a bit more than that going on because many people find that resetting the password does not restore access to their account. In those cases it seems that VM have to do some work behind the scenes to unlock the account.

The fact your account keeps getting locked suggests that the VM system keeps identifying a security issue with it. The idea of running a full antivirus scan is to find and remove any malware that is causing the suspicious activity that the VM "spam and abuse" system keeps picking up.

You could try scanning with Malwarebytes (from here https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download ) That may discover nasties that your AV missed. Malwarebytes now give you a "free trial" but you can keep using it indefinitely - you are not forced to move to their paid for version when the trial ends.

The other option of course is to switch to using a different email service instead of VM's email.  Here is a review of some you might like to consider https://www.lifewire.com/best-free-email-accounts  

There are many advantages if you do that. You will find those systems are:

• more secure
  • more reliable
  • have better spam filtering
  • are better supported

than VM email.

They also have the advantage that you can continue to use them when / if you switch from VM to another broadband provider. (VM email accounts are closed 90 days after you cease to be a broadband customer).

I hope this is helpful but I must stress that I am not a VM employee and everything I have said is my personal view based on what I see posted and reported.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks