forumarchive,nothingtosee,
Menu
AVicker
Tuning in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

email address hacked?

Last night I received many email notifications 60 in total as a return to my email address as undelivered. It showed that I had emailed many address's not in my contact list.

I changed my password details. Everything was fine at 12.00 today I received another 100 saying undelivered. 

I have run a virus check NORTON.

What else should I do or can I do

0 Kudos
AVicker
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Error 606 cannot sign into my account to change password

I received many emails within minutes last night. Obviously someone had used my email address to send malicious content. I want to sign in and change my password for the account but just keep getting the error 606 message!

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Error 606 cannot sign into my account to change password

What browser are you using, is it updated? Have you tried using a different browser?  Try clearing the cache and cookies in your preferred browser, or using an incognito window (web search will tell you how).  Let us know how you get on - if it persists we can try other advice or escalate.

Once you get your password changed you might like to check all your security - here is the VM help page: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-my-email-has-been-hacked

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

AVicker
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thank you, I have google chrome and trying to come to terms with it. I also use Norton 360 and from the tab bar I cannot find tools to clear the cache ?

I also tried my old browser and this also gives me the error code.

I'm not a techie so please be gentle

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Here are a set of instructions for clearing cookies/cache in chrome:  https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/32050

Sorry, I don't know exactly what Norton 360 is.  Isn't it security stuff (anti-malware, etc)?  So not sure what to advise for that.  Maybe someone else will have an idea of whether it is important to this error code.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

coenoby
Super solver
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@AVicker wrote:

Thank you, I have google chrome and trying to come to terms with it. I also use Norton 360 and from the tab bar I cannot find tools to clear the cache ?

I'm not a techie so please be gentle

Some of us are always gentle. 😕

If after clearing the cache you still get the 606 error there is one other possibility.

Have you installed Trusteer Rapport as part of your online security? Some of the banks are quite insistent that their customers should use it but it is not without its issues.

At least one forum poster found that the Error 606 message disappeared after they removed Trustee Rapport from their Chrome extensions. See post 75 here: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/UPDATE-Unable-to-access-webmail-Error-606/td-p/4150263/pa... 

Worth trying that if you have installed Trusteer Rapport.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: email address hacked?

that doesn't mean anyone has accessed your account. People can send emails from any address they want without access to that address.
0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: email address hacked?

Miscreants can spoof your email address, read more here What are fake emails and spoofing? Should the issue not be due to spoofing then consider the advice given here Compromised Email Account advice

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi AVicker

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. Thanks also to all that have replied to the thread. Have you been able to change the password? Let me know if you need further assistance

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

AVicker
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thank you 606 resolved and pass word changed. I cleared the cache and cookies on my chrome browser and gained access.