cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email address & access after leaving VM

adrianjacobs
Dialled in

Though you might be interested to see this, from the Ofcom.org.uk website.

adrianjacobs_0-1633337135493.png

Seems that VM are the only main company that deletes your email account when you leave them.  No ifs, no buts,  gone.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@adrianjacobs wrote:

I think ofcom said it costs about 2-3p a month for a large ISP to operate an individuals email account.

I would be interested in reading that Ofcom article mentioning these costs, are you able to provide the source?

@adrianjacobs wrote:

Maybe people like to keep ISP email addresses because people they've corresponded with over the past 25 years might want to use it. And VM are clearly in the minority when it comes to doing what customers want re retaining email addresses. Sounds like you're happy receiving the lowest level of service in the business. …

This BBC Money Box article from February 2020Email address charges branded 'daylight robbery', concluding comment echo's that of the good advice already offered:

"However, my advice would be to prevent this being a problem in future by taking the hit now. Set up a web-based email address from a reputable provider, such as Microsoft's Outlook or Google's Gmail, start using that instead and gradually move your logins for the services you use across to it."

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

jamesofmerton
Super solver
and?

not strictly true, some isp's you have to keep using the email address to allow continued access and or tell the isp you want to keep it. bt you have to pay a monthly fee after 60 days of leaving.

to put it bluntly, why should i as a virgin customer pay for the upkeep of email addresses of former customers who are paying nothing. free service or not it costs money to keep going.

there are plenty of 'free' alternatives. for the record i have never used the virgin email address in over a decade due to the aforementioned reason of losing it should we leave.

it is in the terms and conditions no ifs no buts.

Who's saying it has to be free? Obviously the other, customer service focused isps, offer a free service that costs them next to nothing, but some will make a charge to cover their costs. Those others also tend not to lie to their customers either, but maybe that's just a VM thing. When I signed up 26 years ago and got an ntlworld.com email address, who knew how important an email address was going to become? Now we know and some isps recognise it. VM? Nah, we only want your money and will penalise you if you leave us. 

it does not cost next to nothing.

'we only want your money and will penalise you if you leave us'

well if they leave virgin why should they continue to get any services.

it's all in the terms and conditions that email addresses end upon leaving. the only thing virgin are rubbish on is reminding customers they will lose access and actually closing the email accounts down in good time.

why people continue to use any isp email address i do not know.

I think ofcom said it costs about 2-3p a month for a large ISP to operate an individuals email account.

Maybe people like to keep ISP email addresses because people they've corresponded with over the past 25 years might want to use it. And VM are clearly in the minority when it comes to doing what customers want re retaining email addresses. Sounds like you're happy receiving the lowest level of service in the business.  Youre the reason VM get away with it

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@adrianjacobs wrote:

I would be interested in reading that Ofcom article mentioning these costs, are you able to provide the source?

@adrianjacobs wrote:

Maybe people like to keep ISP email addresses because people they've corresponded with over the past 25 years might want to use it. And VM are clearly in the minority when it comes to doing what customers want re retaining email addresses. Sounds like you're happy receiving the lowest level of service in the business. …

This BBC Money Box article from February 2020Email address charges branded 'daylight robbery', concluding comment echo's that of the good advice already offered:

"However, my advice would be to prevent this being a problem in future by taking the hit now. Set up a web-based email address from a reputable provider, such as Microsoft's Outlook or Google's Gmail, start using that instead and gradually move your logins for the services you use across to it."

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

@用心棒 wrote:

@adrianjacobs wrote:

@adrianjacobs wrote:

I think it was a BBC Radio 4 Money Box broadcast that I heard it on, about  year or so ago (or maybe longer actually, possibly pre covid).  Probably the episode you've quoted above.  It was a very small, and affordable, figure, if implemented and charged, and some ISPs don't charge at all.

I will indeed be moving my emails across to another email account but this is a major exercise not only to tell everyone that corresponds with me now and in the past and hopign that they'll actually take notice and action it, but also all those hundreds of online accounts (banks accounts, game accounts, utilities, parking apps, etc, etc, etc). that use your email address as your username/login name.  it's similar to VM customer support saying "I've just made some setting changes to your wifi so that it'll work better" without telling you that you now have to go off and reset all the devices (smart plugs, bulbs, TVs, Alexa's, security cameras, doorbells, phones, tablets, pcs and all your friends' and relatives' that visit and use your wifi devices) so they work with the "newly separated" 2.4ghz and 5ghz channels.

@用心棒 wrote:

@adrianjacobs wrote:

BBC Money Box 22nd February 2020 (the 1st 7 mins) includes:

The cost of providing ongoing email support for leavers is "pence, or even fractions of a pence"