cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email account put in password message

scballagher
Tuning in

I've had an ntlworld.com email address for years.  It's my main communication stream.  Randomly it's not receiving any emails.  

I get the following message

Cannot get Mail

No password provided for "Ntlworld"

Please go to Mail Account Settings and enter a password.

I go there.  password is there.  I then delete and reenter to no avail.  

Any advice?  the email is [MOD EDIT: Personal details]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@scballagher wrote:

Any advice? 

The first thing to do is to try using that password to sign into your ntlworld account using the Virgin Media Webmail service on the VM website. You can do that from this link https://mail2.virginmedia.com/  Enter your ntlworld email address and then the password when prompted.

• 1) If you cannot access the email account in VM webmail it means there is an issue with your ntlworld account itself - post the error message here and someone here can help you.
  • 2) if you can access the account on the VM webmail that suggests there is no problem with your ntlworld account or password but there is probably an issue with the email app itself.

The error message "No password provided ....... please go to Mail account settings and enter a password’ is one of the classic errors from the Apple Mail app:

That error seems to have been coming up on the Apple Mail forum for years and can affect email accounts from any provider.  Here's a thread from the Apple community forum which sadly never came to a conclusion https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252056513? 

There are probably many causes that can give rise to that same error, many of them nothing to do with the email account password at all. Sometimes people find that their account details and password works in Apple Mail on one device but do not work when used in Apple Mail on another device!

Whatever, it often seems to be a difficult one for Mail app users to resolve. Here are a couple of ideas:

1.  Whatever app you are using, you could try deleting the account from the email app (not from the VM website!) and then reinstalling it, that can often cure a multitude of issues.
  2. Reset you VM email account password - changing the password on both the VM server and the Mail app may resolve whatever the underlying issue is.

To reset your email password sign in from this link https://my.virginmedia.com/home/signIn  enter your ntlworld email address and then your existing password. That will take you to the relevant "My Virgin Media" account for that email address.

Then navigate to the "Account details" page by clicking on the "Update settings" tab and then you'll see the "Account details" tab.

Scroll down that page and you will see a place to edit the password. Leave it 20-30 minutes before trying the access the email account again to allow for the VM email servers to synchronise.

You will then need to update the password in the email app.

See how that all goes.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@scballagher wrote:

Any advice? 

The first thing to do is to try using that password to sign into your ntlworld account using the Virgin Media Webmail service on the VM website. You can do that from this link https://mail2.virginmedia.com/  Enter your ntlworld email address and then the password when prompted.

• 1) If you cannot access the email account in VM webmail it means there is an issue with your ntlworld account itself - post the error message here and someone here can help you.
  • 2) if you can access the account on the VM webmail that suggests there is no problem with your ntlworld account or password but there is probably an issue with the email app itself.

The error message "No password provided ....... please go to Mail account settings and enter a password’ is one of the classic errors from the Apple Mail app:

That error seems to have been coming up on the Apple Mail forum for years and can affect email accounts from any provider.  Here's a thread from the Apple community forum which sadly never came to a conclusion https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252056513? 

There are probably many causes that can give rise to that same error, many of them nothing to do with the email account password at all. Sometimes people find that their account details and password works in Apple Mail on one device but do not work when used in Apple Mail on another device!

Whatever, it often seems to be a difficult one for Mail app users to resolve. Here are a couple of ideas:

1.  Whatever app you are using, you could try deleting the account from the email app (not from the VM website!) and then reinstalling it, that can often cure a multitude of issues.
  2. Reset you VM email account password - changing the password on both the VM server and the Mail app may resolve whatever the underlying issue is.

To reset your email password sign in from this link https://my.virginmedia.com/home/signIn  enter your ntlworld email address and then your existing password. That will take you to the relevant "My Virgin Media" account for that email address.

Then navigate to the "Account details" page by clicking on the "Update settings" tab and then you'll see the "Account details" tab.

Scroll down that page and you will see a place to edit the password. Leave it 20-30 minutes before trying the access the email account again to allow for the VM email servers to synchronise.

You will then need to update the password in the email app.

See how that all goes.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

scballagher
Tuning in

Thank you so much for your help Coenoby.

I did as suggested.  I can't access the email account in VM webmail so it looks like there is an issue with my ntlworld account itself.

the error message is now 

Your email or password was incorrect.  Please try again or go back to change your email.

Any ideas anyone?

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@scballagher wrote:

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks for posting back with that update. As you say, we know there is an issue of some sort with the email account itself.

Try seeing if you can reset the password by:

1) following the steps I outlined in my first post. The link I gave to do that in my first post https://my.virginmedia.com/home/signIn  will take you to the "My Virgin Media" account for that email account - not the email account itself. That's the route that you have to take these days following some changes VM made last year.

if that does not work then try:-

2) changing it using VM's "Forgot your password"  route. Use  this link https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media/forgotten-details/password Enter your ntlworld email address and follow the prompts. Sadly that may not work either because it relies on there being a "password reset question" already being set in the email account and I think that's unlikely.

Are you still a VM broadband customer?

• If so the Forum Team (VM staff who support this forum) should be able to help you.
  • if not then it's not good news I'm afraid,

If you are still stuck after trying to reset the password just post back with the answer to that question and the answer will determine what the next step should be.

Hope that makes sense.

Coenoby

Hi @scballagher thanks for your post here, although we're sorry to hear of your concerns surrounding your email address.

Is this still happening today? We were aware of a few issues surrounding email at the time of your post yesterday, but we now believe these to be resolved - please let us know however if you need any further help!
Many thanks

Tom_W

Thankyou. I will try to reset password.

unhappily I am still a VM account holder so will go down that route if password reset attempts fail.

Hi Tom,

yes sadly still happening today.  I’ll try the reset password as suggested kindly above.  If not I may need your help.  Thanks.

Hi there @scballagher thanks for your reply.

Were you able to try the password reset to see if this helped? I can see that you have spoken with the team since your last post. Have they been able to have this resolved for you? If not, please let us know. We will be happy to assist further.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules