cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

e-mail password

vivienseyforth
Joining in

I moved here some 5 years ago - unfortunately Virgin media services not available here. I have however been able to continue to use my old Virgin e-mail address - until this morning. My password was requested & possibly I tried too many times with an incorrect one. I'm stuck now. I've not had any notification to advise the e-mail address would be cancelled. Help. Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@vivienseyforth wrote:

I'm stuck now. I've not had any notification to advise the e-mail address would be cancelled. Help. Thanks.

Unfortunately Virgin Media do not seem to give any notification before they delete an email address. However, it would be worth trying to reset the password yourself via this link https://my.virginmedia.com/forgot-details/password

Enter your email address as the username and follow the prompts.

If you do manage to regain access to the account you need to regard that as just a temporary reprieve. The fact is that your old VM email account could disappear for good at any time. 😉

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately (I have already tried this route) I am no longer recognised - as I said we moved over 5 years ago & were unable to continue with Virgin as they don't cover our area. I guess I will have to use my alternative e-m address & let everyone know. 

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@vivienseyforth wrote:

I guess I will have to use my alternative e-m address & let everyone know. 

Thanks for coming back on this. Unfortunately you don't really have another option but to use another email account.

The only problem now is that sometimes it seems that VM merely close the access to an email account rather than actually delete it. If that is the case, any of your existing contacts who email your old account will not get any advice that your VM address no longer exists.

I would suggest testing that out by sending an email to your VM email address from your alternative  account. You should get a non delivery report back almost straight away advising that the VM address does not exist.

Post back here if you do not get a non delivery report back and one of the Forum Team (VM employees who support this forum) will be able to make sure the account gets fully deleted for you.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hello @viviensetforth, 

Welcome to the community page, thank you for posting on here.

I am sorry about your email.

We are unable to re-enable an email that is on a disconnected account, this is due to the email no longer being useable. This should of happened 90 days after you left us, but the system did not action this. It has now updated and actioned this.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hello there

Seems any e-mails to this address are not being bounced back to the sender. I would be grateful if this final closure could be progressed. Currently it would seem that senders are oblivious. Thanks. 

Hi vivienseyforth,

We can certainly look to get this closed finally. 

What I will do is private message you to get some details to assist. 

^Martin

What I suspect, and of course VM are somewhat tight-lipped about their backend system- which I completely understand, but it may well be a two stage process. Firstly there is your login account itself, that could be disabled if not deleted and hence you can no longer log in to check your email - effectively it seems that that you mailbox has gone.

But the mailbox itself could still exist and VM’s server still accept mail for it, so there isn’t a bounce back and it seems as if the email is properly received, which it is, except there’s no way to access it. This may well take longer to be deleted in which case, unfortunately, anyone sending email to it will have no way of knowing that you can no longer see it.