Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

do I get into my new account email

CAN ANYONE HELP ME I AM LOSING THE WILL TO LIVE WITH VIRGIN MEDIA!
Apart from telephone support that never answers (I have been trying at various times for FOUR DAYS  - at the moment I've been hanging on for 45 minutes - and forget the useless online 'chat' with 30 minute responses. I have now resorted to the 'Community' in the hope maybe someone out there can assist,as nothing I do works.  Can someone out there help me?
I have a Virgin.net email address and want to set up a Virginmedia.com email. If I open up a new account with a Virginmedia email address I will lose all emails from the Virgin.net account, and I don't want to do that. Instead I want set up a secondary account with 'myname@virginmedia.com.  but the system at Virgin Media won't let me do that, as it says an email address with my name is not available (why?) so it suggests an alternative email address as  'myname1@ virginmedia.com.  This email address works but it's not what I want. There's an option to change it to 'myname@virginmedia.com  (in other words without the 1) 

Here's the big issue:  When I log into my old Virgin.net email, and I find the system has emailed me to tell me that I have set up a new email address at 'myname1@virginmedia.com' - when I log out and log back in to nyname1@virginmedia.com it is OK but it also says that an email has been sent to 'myname@virginmedia.com' to verify the change of email address. Only I can't log into it.  So    
HOW do I access it when the system wont let me in as the account name change has not been verified, and I can't verify it unless the system lets me log in.  
I have tried deleting the secondary account, re-setting it, and for some reason my wife, who has a different email address entirely, is also receiving my confirmation emails. 
This has now been going round in circles for over four days and I simply cannot get through to anyone at Virgin Media.  I've even complained on Facebook!  
Can anyone advise or assist? Am I missing something? Help! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: do I get into my new account email

Yes you are missing something.  If you have an email address that is, using your example myname@Virgin.net, then the system is set up so as to stop anyone else, including you, creating myname@virginmedia.com.  This has been in place ever since the virginmedia.com email domain was opened up for customer use.

The other option that you have tried just changes the username used to access a particular VM email address.  It doesn't change the underlying email address and has to be a third party email address that you already have access to in order to complete the verification process.

So, if you want a secondary email address on the virginmedia.com domain you will need to choose name that differs from your existing primary virgin.net address.

Creating a secondary address will not remove your existing address or any of the emails already in the mailbox.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

OK thanks. I've settled for a 'myname1@virginmedia.com' email address. I'm not really happy with it, but at least it works, and I'm receiving/sending emails on my new PC. This policy of not being able to simply update to a VM email address is absurd, since they have been encouraging people to go over to VM for ages. Apparently no-one at VM has thought that providing a method for v.net customers to update to VM email within the existing account, might be a useful thing to do. I went through this a few months ago as V.net servers started blocking my work emails due to some kind of security issue. I queried this and what could they do about it. It seems administration of V.net email had been taken over by TalkTalk and to contact them. I pointed out that my contract was with VM so Talk Talk won't talk to me, so I'm stymied. What is frustrating is that VM could only offer me the option of closing my V.net email, but then I would lose all the email records. They told me I could set up new VM email with my name on. They ever said I couldn't have my own name or any of this '1' malarkey. Yet another triumph from Virgin Media.
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hello

virgin.net emails addresses are still administrated by virginmedia and will always be (the only thing that was transferred was the dial up), we should be able to guide you on why your works emails are not coming through to your virgin.net email address, we would need the bounce messages from the works email server.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos