Menu
CustardK
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

change blueyonder primary email address for new virginmedia email

Good morning, 

I have always used a blueyonder email address but over the last few years it is getting more and more spam and spoof emails, some very, very convincing and sometimes up to 10 a day. I was also the victim of an elaborate identify fraud which was linked to the blueyonder address so understandably I just want to get rid of it and start again. 

I have set up an additional account (within my Virgin account) that has a new virginmedia email address and hoped to delete the blueyonder email address and solely use the virginmedia address. 

The blueyonder email is my Virgin primary email and I can't figure out how to swap it for the new virginmedia email address. 

My new virginmedia email address is attached to an additional account within my Virginmedia account and not an alias of the blueyonder email,  although it is accessed through the same email mailbox as the blueyonder one. 

I don't log into my account with the blueyonder email. 

Some advice on how to completely remove the blueyonder email address and replace it with my new virginmedia email address would be massively appreciated.

Many thanks

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: change blueyonder primary email address for new virginmedia email

@CustardK wrote:

Good morning, 

I have always used a blueyonder email address but over the last few years it is getting more and more spam and spoof emails, some very, very convincing and sometimes up to 10 a day. I was also the victim of an elaborate identify fraud which was linked to the blueyonder address so understandably I just want to get rid of it and start again. 

I can understand that as a natural reaction. I'm going to have to disappoint you with my reply

I have set up an additional account (within my Virgin account) that has a new virginmedia email address and hoped to delete the blueyonder email address and solely use the virginmedia address. 

You cannot delete your blueyonder primary e-mail address. Nor can Virgin Media. 

The blueyonder email is my Virgin primary email and I can't figure out how to swap it for the new virginmedia email address. 

I don't have to repeat what I have said above.  But you can simply abandon its use and after 150 days it will become completely inactive. But that depends on you not accessing it in any way during that period. However the primary address and password will always remain valid for logging onto My Virginmedia.

My new virginmedia email address is attached to an additional account within my Virginmedia account and not an alias of the blueyonder email,  although it is accessed through the same email mailbox as the blueyonder one. 

Correct

I don't log into my account with the blueyonder email. 

Good.

Some advice on how to completely remove the blueyonder email address and replace it with my new virginmedia email address would be massively appreciated.

Sorry, have to disappoint. You've done all you can

Many thanks

-----------------------

Superuser 18/19.
Use Kudos to say thanks
Tick an answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
CustardK
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you so much for the clear response, it is much appreciated. 

If they cannot swap the primary address then that leaves me with a bit of a problem, as by logging into the secondary account will automatically access the blueyonder email inbox (as they are shared) so if I simply wait 150 days for the blueyonder email to become inactive then the new email address will also be deemed inactive. I'm shocked that a VirginMedia cannot change a primary email address, especially in the case of fraudulent activity. Bizarrely the main reason I kept VirginMedia services was because I did not want to lose the email address as I used it for work but perhaps a complete fresh start is needed. 

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond, 

best wishes 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

You are under a misapprehension. You do not have the problem you describe. You can log into your secondary address quite separately in web mail. It has its own mail box which it does not share with the original blueyonder mail box. If you are using an e-mail client like Outlook or Thunderbird you will (needs must) already have a separate account entry for your virginmedia.com address and provided you only collect mail from it when you use the e-mail client (by making it your default account) you will not see anything from the blueyonder address. 

-----------------------

Superuser 18/19.
Use Kudos to say thanks
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
CustardK
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

ah okay, you are correct I have a separate log in for the new email address but when I log into the VirginMedia website the email inboxes are combined. So are you suggesting that after 150 days the blue yonder address will disappear from that mailbox as long as I don't access the webmail via Virginmedia over those days? I have removed the blueyonder address from my email client so hopefully it will get deleted after 150 days. Thank you

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

No it won't disappear.It will just be deactivated for the purposes of e-mail. But for log-in to My Virginmedia it will remain for ever and needs to remain visible because you may wish to change the password (which is still allowed)

-----------------------

Superuser 18/19.
Use Kudos to say thanks
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@CustardK wrote:

when I log into the VirginMedia website the email inboxes are combined.

That suggests that, at some time, you have switched on "Unified Mail" for one or both of these addresses. If so, switch it off.

See - 

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

Follow the instructions in the above and UNtick  "Use Unified Mail for this account."