Menu
bwd
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

can't send email using smtp

A few days ago email sending via email client using smtp stopped working.  I have a blueyonder email and verified all virginmedia settings.   The problem is NOT the email client as I have tried multiple email clients; Iphone and also different email accounts.  I have talked to Virgin support in india twice but they just say webmail works so nothing they can do..  Fact is it has to be the smtp server not responding.   Does anyone else have same problem and how can we escalate to a knowedgable Virgin Media technical support person in UK?

0 Kudos
Buffer6
Community elder
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: can't send email using smtp

I have found that the IMAP server only works for a while and then I have to revert to POP again

0 Kudos
bwd
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

POP for receiving is working fine on all clients and email addresses.

Problem is limited to the SMTP sending element.

Annoying as this has been stable for 20 years!!

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Can you get the email logs to assist identifying the problem ?  Also, you should check if your IP is on a blacklist. (I am still learning so forgive me if that is not useful information)

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Outgoing-Authentication-Issues-Check-Email-Logs/td-p/3237...

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'
0 Kudos
Highlighted
bwd
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

thanks for the comments 

Email sending suddenly started working this morning so looks like Virgin techies have reset their smtp server.   I just knew it had to be at the Virgin end but of course no one admitted it!!   cheers

MissPasko
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Or your IP address came off the blacklist after the time limit.  I'm glad you are back in working order!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@bwd wrote:

thanks for the comments 

Email sending suddenly started working this morning so looks like Virgin techies have reset their smtp server.   I just knew it had to be at the Virgin end but of course no one admitted it!!   cheers

I really hate it when people make statements like this without providing any evidence to back it up!

It most probably was indeed the "Virgin end" causing you difficulties, but that does not mean that it was actually a fault on their part.  Virgin Media actually deny mail delivery for all sorts of different reasons.  for example

• Too many recipients in the last hour/24 hours.
  • Sending IP on the CSS - a real time blacklist that deletes entries if no further mail has been seen after a certain period of time.
  • Spam content found - In some cases spam filters can be updated meaning a mail that was denied previously can suddenly be accepted.

The list goes on, and sadly I can't reproduce the full list here, although I do have access to it.

It should be noted that none of the above reasons are down to an error in the client setup itself, but in all three cases listed mail that wasn't working can suddenly start again, it definitely doesn't mean that Virgin Media have "reset their SMTP servers"

During my time helping on the Forums I've added a number of posts aimed at helping get to the bottom of users problems without having to resort to guesswork..  The post linked to by @MissPasko is a perfect example of one of these.

If you've got a problem, providing accurate error messages helps us to help you.

I am glad your email is working now, and certainly if you want help in the future, we'll happily give it, but please bear the above in mind.

Tim

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

bwd
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

With the greatest of respect:  TWO separate email accounts on multiple platforms all stopped sending emails around same time:  the ONLY common point is VIRGIN SMTP server so my assessment was correct irrespective of the subtle nuances that may be working in the background.  Their server was not responding and their tech support was next to useless.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@bwd wrote:

With the greatest of respect.

When people start with that tone, it implies they don’t have any for the person they’re responding to.

I did read your earlier post, but when you say:

the ONLY common point is the VIRGIN SMTP SERVER.

you should realise that if you were connecting over your home network, then you have to consider that each device will appear to be connecting from the same public IP address.

Thus if that IP was listed on the CSS then no device on your home network would be able to send.

Oh and the subtle nuances going on in the background do matter, as in some cases action is required either on yours or Virgin’s part, whilst for others no action is required other than waiting it out.

I’ve made it my business over the years to understand the subtle nuances, and where appropriate request action from Virgin Media to put in remedies for certain unique situations, such as people sending mail for their Virgin Media accounts via Gmail.

Tim

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
coenoby
Knows their stuff
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@bwd wrote:

Their server was not responding

and their tech support was next to useless.

The first half of that statement is pure supposition, the server may have been working fine but denying you access for very valid reasons.

However the second half (re the tech support) is pretty much spot on unfortunately. Smiley Mad

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer