Menu
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 61 of 63
Flag for a moderator

Re: blueyonder server asking for password

You need to check your friends home network for malware

VM305 indicates that the authentication attempt has been blocked, not because of a password error, but because the your friend's public IP is listed in Spamhaus' CSS

You can confirm this by going to - https://spamhaus.org/lookup/ and checking his public IP address.

Note the CSS is a realtime blacklist, while most mail providers would not use this on a submission server, the fact that your friends IP address is on their indicates that a device on their network is sending spam straight to mail exchangers.  automatic delisting occurs 12 - 24 hours after the last spam was seen.

So the frst thing to do is to check ALL devices on this network for malware using anti virus programs and also something such as malwarebytes to check for other types of malware.

You can try delisting the IP before then, but unless you get to the cause of the problem, they'll end up back on the list.

Tim

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
tech785
Joining in
Message 62 of 63
Flag for a moderator

Tim

thanks for your response....I have checked spam house and it does come up as black listed....

however would that not apply to the other blueyonder user on the same pc.. different profile? 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 63 of 63
Flag for a moderator

@tech785 wrote:

Tim

thanks for your response....I have checked spam house and it does come up as black listed....

however would that not apply to the other blueyonder user on the same pc.. different profile? 

More likely the outgoing server isn't set up to authenticate.  If using smtp.blueyonder.co.uk and sending from a Virgin Media IP then authentication is not needed.  This the VM305 doesn't get triggered.

Tim

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos