Menu
Jocko
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

blueyonder email not working

Hi. I'm posting this on behalf of my mum. We're both virgin media customers but she's in her 70's and been on calls for weeks about email issues with no progress. I'm hoping I can get some advice I can relay to her about how to resolve this. It's a blueyonder email address.

So, her virgin media account originally had the primary account set to my brothers email. She called about 3-4 weeks ago to get her own email switched to the primary account and this seems to co-incide with the email issues appearing. From searching the forums I can see some other issues similar to this which also appear to relate to account changes.

She's been talked through the password reset process several times, without any joy. What is confusing is that she can still receive but not send emails on her phone, which I don't understand. If she's changed her password but not updated her phone, what can explain this still working.

I've also searched long and hard for all the various email pop3 smptp settings etc. To be honest I've found a few variations of this including what seems to be instructions that blueyonder emails should use ntlworld settings. It's hard to be sure we have this right and whether it's a factor in the issues or not. Given it was working before the account change I suspect they were right but we've fiddled with them so many times now it would be helpful to get definitive settings for an iPhone and IPad.

To compound things, she's also been hacked, falling victim to that recent royal mail scam. We think we've addressed this however the lack of access to her email, and the fear this may still be compromised is causing her a lot of stress. She was about to phone an engineer to come out as a last resort, but I don't think they'd be able to sort this for her so here I am on the forums trying to find a route forward for her.

I appreciate there are other posts like this and I did read them. The problem is it looks like we've tried all the suggestions there and still can't get in working. Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated - I think another hour+ on hold to the support line will tip her over she must have spent over a dozen hours on calls at this point while also dealing with this hacking nonsense.

cheers

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: blueyonder email not working

@Jocko wrote:
I've found a few variations of this including what seems to be instructions that blueyonder emails should use ntlworld settings............ it would be helpful to get definitive settings for an iPhone and IPad.

Not sure where you have been looking to come across those instructions regarding using ntlworld for blueyonder emails. The recommended settings for all the Virgin Media domains, (including the legacy domains,ntlworld, blueyonder and vigin.net) have been "virginmedia.com" since 2017.

Here is VM's helpsheet for setting up VM email on iPad and iPhone https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-how-to-update-email-settings 

Once you have the correct settings up and running let us know if there are still problems sending emails.  That may be caused by a different underlying issue.😉

The other issues regarding your mum's email account, such as making it the primary address, will need to be picked up by one of the Forum Team (VM employees). They will contact you via this post. 

One issue may be that for security reasons they will need to talk to the broadband account holder. Is the broadband account still in her brother's name or was it officially transferred over to her?

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
Jocko
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Coenoby, thanks for quick helpful response!

Re account transfer. I'm pretty sure it has been handed over to my mum (from my brother, her son :)). However, at some point she asked them to allow me to be able to speak on her behalf as well, so I'm not 100% sure about status I will double-check this.

cheers

John

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@Jocko wrote:

Re account transfer. I'm pretty sure it has been handed over to my mum (from my brother, her son :)). However, at some point she asked them to allow me to be able to speak on her behalf as well, so I'm not 100% sure about status I will double-check this.

Thanks for coming back on this. I only asked because I know it is something the Forum Team have to consider so giving you a heads up hopefully will save time when they catch up with this thread.

BTW - apologies I misread your initial post and thought it was her brother not yours. 😧  The same issue applies of course.

Coenoby

If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hey @Jocko,

Thanks for taking the time to post this on our forums.

I apologise for the account issues that you're having and as @coenoby advised, we can look into the account side of this problem and let you know the current status of your mothers online account and email addresses.

I will send over a private message in a moment, so that we can confirm the account details and pass account security.

Please look out for the message and we can get started.

Regards,

Steven_L

Jocko
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Steven_L I have replied to your private message.

Coenoby, thanks again for your input and responses. I've only had to use the forums here a couple of times but in each case the community responses have been fantastic, so shout out to you and others that provide this sort of support and community spirit  :). My mum also sends her thanks!

coenoby
Super solver
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@Jocko wrote:

Coenoby, thanks again for your input and responses. I've only had to use the forums here a couple of times but in each case the community responses have been fantastic, so shout out to you and others that provide this sort of support and community spirit  :). My mum also sends her thanks!

Thank you for those kind comments. We all do what we can, 😉

Kind regards

Coenoby

0 Kudos
Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for confirming your mothers information and joining me in a private message @JockoJ.

I have rebooted your mothers email address, please can you ask her to log in and check if it's working now.

Regards

Steven_L

0 Kudos
Jocko
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Stephen_L.

Thanks for update. I will let you know if this had resolved the issue. It will be interesting if it does as I believe something similar has already been attempted more than once on some of the calls she made. It's all very odd.

Cheers, John

0 Kudos
Jocko
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi coenoby, stephen_l.

Apologies for lack of recent updates. I just wanted to update that after several more calls and attempts to resolve this issue, including involvement from the exec office due to a good old fashioned 'real' letter my mum send, she's now got her email working again.

It's taken 5 weeks, and at least a dozen calls and attempts to sort this. We got there though. It looks like a simple matter of the wrong email being set on the account, which for reasons that elude me proved difficult to fix.

Anyway, thanks again both for lending a hand with this and providing info and  support.