cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

blacklisted ip address

oscar18
Joining in

hi - my email error message says to contact the abusedesk as my ip address is blacklisted. can anyone help? thanks oscar18,  

3 REPLIES 3

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @oscar18,

Thanks for your post. 

I can see my colleague Travis is looking into this for you and will respond to your PM as soon as possible.

Kind regards

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

hi thanks for your message. 

i spoke to the VM technical team this morning. they told me the current IP address which is blacklisted will expire next thursday 12 august. 

after that we get a new onw which hopefully is not blacklisted and so our e mails will return to normal.  

maybe then best to wait till next thursday and do nothing till then and see if the new IP address solves the problem . 

the current blacklisted one is [REMOVED]

thanks. 

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

oscar18 

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@oscar18 wrote:

i spoke to the VM technical team this morning. they told me the current IP address which is blacklisted will expire next thursday 12 august. 

after that we get a new onw which hopefully is not blacklisted and so our e mails will return to normal.  

VM's IP addresses don't work that way.  While they are indeed allocated via DHCP  - such IP addresses rarely change.  It's not uncommon for a user to keep the same IP address for years.

The reasons are thus:

• VM use a long lease time on their IP addresses - approximately 7 days.
  • DHCP clients request an extension of the lease, starting at around 50% of the lease time and continuing until either:
    They get a new lease OR
    The lease expires
    VM usually renew the lease at around 87.5% of the lease time.
  • DHCP clients may request the same IP address when they ask for an address.

So the chances that you've been given a duff IP address are small.  VM can check when your IP address last changed, but I suspect you've been running the same one for some time.

I don't work for VM soo I'm generalising here, but you do need to understand why an address gets put on a blacklist.

Typically an address is blacklisted when email spam traffic is seen originating from it.  There are some other blacklists related to compromised computers as well, plus a final category that lists IP addresses not expected to run email servers.

Blacklists aren't usually used on outbound email servers - however I know for a fact that spam has been sent through their servers, so they may have decided to implement their own style of blacklisting to try and put a stop to this.

So the real question should be, what traffic has been seen to cause your IP address to be blacklisted by Virgin Media?

If you don't get to the bottom of the cause, there is a strong possibility that if you are removed from the blacklist, your IP will just be added again if more traffic is seen.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks