cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

authentication failed - why -(for X.Y@ntlworld.com)

angus1024
On our wavelength

My email worked for many years in thunderbird with settings like pop3.virginmedia.com . Authentication failed 2 days ago in an email session and has not worked since - why ?. VM Webmail will not let me login either. I looked at the email log (as Ravenstat68 wrote) where it said authentication failed and included phase:

ERROR: pop3PasswordFailedAny idea why authentication would fail like that? and is there a way round it without resetting my password ? which I really don't want todo for some specific reason.

If something is wrong with my account why dont they just tell me what it is?.

best wishes
angus1024

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Laurie_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi angus1024,

Thanks for getting in touch, I'm sorry that you're having some problems with your email authentication.

I'd be more than happy to look into this for you. I'll just need to confirm a few details via Private Message. Please look out for a purple envelope in the top right corner of your screen.

Kind regards,

Laurie

Laurie_C
Forum Team

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

Laurie_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi angus1024,

Thanks for getting in touch, I'm sorry that you're having some problems with your email authentication.

I'd be more than happy to look into this for you. I'll just need to confirm a few details via Private Message. Please look out for a purple envelope in the top right corner of your screen.

Kind regards,

Laurie

Laurie_C
Forum Team

Pelican
On our wavelength

Same has happened to me this afternoon. This happened to one of my other email accounts last week, and after 2 days it fixed itself. I hope this one isn't going to be 2 days. What's going on? 

angus1024
On our wavelength

The email started to work after 36 hours without a password change.

Pelican
On our wavelength

It's very frustrating isn't it?

Having the same problem since yesterday morning - no send or receive via desktop or smartphone using different email clients or via desktop and laptop trying to access webmail. Webmail has been saying try again in an hour for 24 hours. All websites, WhatsApp, Twitter, etc are working fine. Can't be a password issue unless the server has deleted everything at this end - webmail uses a password manager and the email clients store the password. Virgin helpline denied any server problem yesterday and can't get through today.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@rwjdingwall wrote:

Having the same problem since yesterday morning - no send or receive via desktop or smartphone using different email clients or via desktop and laptop trying to access webmail. Webmail has been saying try again in an hour for 24 hours. All websites, WhatsApp, Twitter, etc are working fine. Can't be a password issue unless the server has deleted everything at this end - webmail uses a password manager and the email clients store the password. Virgin helpline denied any server problem yesterday and can't get through today.

Odd that you think it isn't a password issue given the number of users posting here that a password refresh has resolved the issue.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

From the above presumably VM are working on their servers and temporarily suspend passwords - but they can be reset. If one hangs on long enough the old passwords come back.

Have reset password but no change in situation - apart from having to go round my devices and change the password on all of them!!!!

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi angus1024, thanks for your post.

Sorry about any email issues you've encountered. A password reset (to something new that you've never used before) does seem to resolve this most of the time. If that hasn't worked for you please get back to me via PM (the purple envelope) and we'll look further into it for you.

Thanks for trying the password reset @rwjdingwallI I will message you shortly.

Tom