cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

added an outlook email account to my ntlworld account but it doesn't work

robjon80
Joining in

Added an outlook email account to my ntlworld account but it will not send or receive.

It was added some time ago and worked fine but after deleting and re adding it's completely dead.

Deleting it from my ntlworld account page had no effect on outlook, I can still acces it from there.

15 REPLIES 15

Thanks coenoby

I already have ntlworld, I access it in Windows mail and it's working fine.

I am trying to add Outlook.com email to Windows mail, so far without success.

The subject line above should probably be:-  added an outlook email account to my Windows mail account but it doesn't work

I Followered your post but I'm sorry, it didn't work.

I have successfully added the Outlook mail in the Windows email list but it doesn't work. I do have one email stuck in the Outlook outbox. (Maybe a step forward)

What do you make of this Device Activity I copied a while ago. It doesn't make much sense, it says 'Successful sign-in' but again, it doesn't work.

3 hours ago Successful sign-in

Device/platform
Windows

Browser/application
Chrome

IP address
XXXXXXXX

Account alias
gxxx@ntlworld.com

Session activity
Additional verification requested
Successful sign-in

This is your current session.

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@robjon80 wrote:

The subject line above should probably be:-  added an outlook email account to my Windows mail account but it doesn't work

Ok, I must admit I'm confused, not for the first time in my life, LOL

All I can say is that I do not usually use Mail for managing my email accounts but I do have an Outlook.com account already set up in Mail on my Windows 10 laptop. Out of interest I have just deleted that Outlook.com account from Mail and tried setting it up from scratch again.

Here's how I went about it:

• I clicked on "Add account" and then in the pop up window I clicked on "Outlook.com". (I did not use the option to use the address I had just deleted)
  • Then I clicked on "Microsoft Account* and "Continue"
  • Then when asked to "sign in" I entered my Outlook.com email address and clicked on "Next ".
  • I then entered my Outlook.com email password and clicked on "Sign in"

My Outlook.com account popped up in Mail and when I checked all the emails from my Outlook.com account are there in Mail and it seems to be working fine.

I would suggest that there is no need to go through the Advance Set up route that you referred to in your earlier post where you said:

"I should be able to add Outlook mail back into Microsoft Windows where I used to have it. The trouble is I can't make it work

In Microsoft Windows it's:-

Mail > Inbox - Ntlworld > Accounts > Manage accounts > Add account > Advanced setup (at bottom, scroll to find it) > Internet mail."

If you are setting up an Outlook.com account then going down that route is just making life difficult for yourself really. 😉

I can only suggest that you try deleting the Outlook.com account that you have set up in Mail and see if you can follow the steps I have outlined above.

I really do hope that helps you. 😊

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

From what I can gather, you're attempting to add an Outlook.com email account to Windows Mail, yes?

See here for instructions on how to add an account to Windows Mail: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/set-up-email-in-the-mail-app-7ff79e8b-439b-4b47-8ff9-3f9a...

The server settings to use for an Outlook.com account are provided here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/pop-imap-and-smtp-settings-for-outlook-com-d088b986-291d...

Note the following:

• Incoming and outgoing server details are the same.

• POP access is disabled by default. To enable POP access, see Enable POP access in Outlook.com below.

• Outlook.com does not require Secure Password Authentication (SPA).

Server settings are as below:

• IMAP server name outlook.office365.com

• IMAP port 993

• IMAP encryption method TLS

• POP server name outlook.office365.com

• POP port 995

• POP encryption method TLS

• SMTP server name smtp-mail.outlook.com

• SMTP port 587

• SMTP encryption method STARTTLS

Also take note of the section relating to Outlook.com IMAP connection errors.

If you're using POP it has to be enabled first so read both sections which relate to POP access.

[Oops, apologies for the cross posting with @coenoby.]

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.

Thanks to all of you guys who tried to help with this problem, I hope you all will see this post.

The last attempt resulted in a second ntlworld account instead of an outlook one.

I've wasted enough time, both mine and yours and now I've given up, I'll do without an outlook account.

Thanks again,  RobJon

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@robjon80 wrote:

The last attempt resulted in a second ntlworld account instead of an outlook one.

I've wasted enough time, both mine and yours and now I've given up, I'll do without an outlook account

I must admit that I am totally baffled at what is happening. The downside with using a forum is that none of us can see what you are seeing. If we could, I am sure the solution would be obvious.  As it is I don't know what else to say to help you, I'm sorry.

However, I am not sure what you mean when you say that you will have to "do without an Outlook account".  If you created an Outlook account in the past you should be able to access it directly from your browser without using Windows Mail. Click on this link  https://outlook.live.com/owa/    and then click on the Sign In box in the top right corner. Enter your Outlook.com address and password and you will be able to see and manage any emails for that outlook.com address.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks