cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yet Another Email Password Problem

pjh
Dialled in

Ok, problem started yesterday (24th Oct) morning when my email client started reporting “incorrect password” on my secondary email account. ‘Aha’, I thought, ‘seen this before, account locked due to spam detection, need to reset password’. 

So I tried to do this using the method I knew, which was login with primary account and change the secondary’s password. Only there is no facility to do that now. Instead, I tried to use the “forgotten password” link when logging in via a browser using the secondary account. At this point it asked me for date of birth and mother’s maiden name. Entered both correctly, no dice.

Searching this forum shows that VM have changed this protocol fairly recently, but have neither migrated any default settings from the primary to the secondary, nor notified users that they need to set up security questions for the secondary accounts.

Today I eventually spoke with a second level tech chap who seemed to know what he was doing and said he would reset my secondary password and then I should login with that password and change it. At the same time I could then set up the necessary security questions and responses. The first level chap didn’t really understand my problem, and as my emails are “.ntlworld” domain kept advising me to go to ntlworld.com.

He promised to call me back in half an hour, which he did, only to explain something was wrong his end and he way creating an IT ticket. ‘Ok’, I thought, ‘surely then I’ll be able to login to my my primary account and check progress’. I then found I am locked out of my primary account too.

Unless someone from VM is on here and can help, I guess at this point I’m just (a) venting and (b) adding to the rash of complaints about this security system. Still, it makes me feel better but I am distinctly unhappy with the idea of being without email.

(And there’s no real point in selecting the “email me when someone replies” option 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thanks for the update @pjh

If the issue is still not fully resolved do continue liaising with Ashleigh who will be able to assist further. 

Best wishes

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

pjh
Dialled in

Should add that they are “ntlworld” domain addresses linked to a currently active VM account.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @pjh,

Welcome back to our Community Forums! Thank you for your post and I'm sorry to hear that you're having some issues with accessing your mailbox at the moment!  I can understand that this must be quite frustrating.

Can you confirm if the mailboxes you're trying to access are linked to an Active Virgin Media broadband account? 

What error are you seeing when you try to sign into your mailboxes. Is the error the same for both primary and secondary account?

Please let us know so we can investigate further for you.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

Hi

i can confirm that both accounts are linked to an active VM account. I would give you the account number, only as the primary account is locked out I can’t access my account.

I can also confirm that both are suffering the same issue, ie they now (a) complain my passwords are incorrect and (b) do not allow me to reset my passwords as they do not recognise my date of birth / security question.

I should also say - to prevent wasted effort on your part and so you can be helping others - that Ashleigh_C is looking into this already, as they picked up on a comment I made in another thread prior to my starting this thread.

Paul

Thanks for the update pjh,

As Ashleigh is already looking into this matter for you, we will leave you in her capable hands. Please just keep us posted publicly with how you're getting on.

Kind regards Jodi. 

Primary account became available last evening after the login page came back after site maintenance. Secondary account still not available to me.

Thanks for the update @pjh

If the issue is still not fully resolved do continue liaising with Ashleigh who will be able to assist further. 

Best wishes

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

Ash managed to resolve the issue, thank you. 

same problem here !

Can someone help me?

Hey BMWCHUBB,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post.
I’m sorry to hear of the issues that you’re having with your password, I would be happy to take a further look into this for you but first I would need to confirm a few details via private message, please look out for my message and we can get started.
Kind Regards,
Steven_L