cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 11 Mail App not working with ntlworld email account?

PaulinLeeds
On our wavelength

I opted in to the Windows 11 insider programme a couple of weeks ago and have since noticed that the Windows Mail app doens't seem to like my ntlworld account in that I'm unable to either send or receive emails. Other accounts with google etc set up in the same app are working fine. I am able to use my ntlworld account as normal on my android phone and also using a browser. So the problem does seem specific to Windows 11. All settings in App are correct and I get no error messages when I force a sync, it just doesn't do anything.

Is anyone else aware of an issue and more importantly, have you managed to fix it? Thanks

9 REPLIES 9

PaulinLeeds
On our wavelength

Just tried uninstalling the default Mail app and then reinstalled it and set up a couple of my email accounts. The gmail one works perfectly but the ntlworld one stubbornly refuses to download any emails. It lets me create an email but when I send it it just sits in the outbox and doesn't move. 

There are no error messages and the app settings are the same as they always were for virginmedia. I can still access my ntlworld account from my phone and through a browser as normal so there's something wrong with the Windows app

Anyone any suggestions please?

Hi, @PaulinLeeds,

Welcome back to our community forums.

Sorry to hear you are having issues accessing your ntl emails on the windows 11 mail app. We want to do our best to help regarding this. Just to clarify, what device are you accessing the windows 11 app on? Have you been able to use the email on the app before or is this the first time setting the email up on the app?

Please get back to us when you can.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi. I'm using my main desktop pc which was on Windows 10 but I opted to try Windows 11 and am in the Dev Channel for updates - seems I'm stuck in there and can't opt out without having to reinstall W10 but that's another issue.

The standard Mail app was working fine with W10 and I used it for my ntlworld account plus google and hotmail accounts. The latter two accounts still work fine in the App under W11 but for some inexplicable reason the ntlworld one simply refuses to play. The server settings etc are exactly the same as before and mirror those I use on my phone etc. I confirm, I have no problems accessing and sending emails via Chrome or on my android devices.

As an experiment I have installed the trial version of Mailbird today and I have set up my ntlworld account on there and its working as normal. So the problem seems to lie fairly and squarely with the default Microsoft Mail app when running W11. It would be helpful if it threw up an error when syncing or trying to send emails but it doesn't.

With any luck as W11 matures the problem will be resolved but I can't believe I'm the only person trying to use the Mail app on W11 that's having this issue. If anyone has got it working please share your settings!

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@PaulinLeeds wrote:

With any luck as W11 matures the problem will be resolved but I can't believe I'm the only person trying to use the Mail app on W11 that's having this issue. If anyone has got it working please share your settings!

I am not in the Windows 11 insider programme so I cannot offer any advice on that.

However, for what it's worth, I just found this review online. https://techgenix.com/windows-11-mail-app/  It seems to be dated 6th October 2021 so is reasonably current.

Obviously it does not specifically mention anything regarding VM email and to be honest I cannot see how any of the issues identified in the review would be applicable to the VM email service.

However, the final section of the review is entitled "You may want to wait for the final version" and the general tone suggests the current version of the app is "a  work in progress" rather than the final product.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi PaulinLeeds thanks for posting and welcome back to our community.

I am sorry you're currently unable to access your email address issued by ourselves via your Windows 11 app.  Can I ask if this is the same for other email clients?  E.G outlook or Thunderbird etc?

Regards

Lee_R

PaulinLeeds
On our wavelength

Hi. As I said in my last post, I installed the trial version of Mailbird on my pc and added my ntlworld account. It's working absolutely fine so the problem does seem to be specific to the MS mail app. 

Hi Paulin, I am sorry to hear that you are having issues with the mail app. 

Please try these steps:

1. Open Settings app, go to System > Apps & features.
  2. In corresponding right pane, click on Mail app. Then click on Advanced options link.
  3. On the next page, click on Reset button.
  4. Again click on Reset button in the warning/confirmation fly-out. This will reset the app

Please let us know if you are still having issues follwoing this?

Chris 

Have reset the Mail app and reinstalled the ntlworld account. Unfortunately has made no difference, still not receiving emails or able to send them. Not had a Windows 11 Dev update for a while now so with any luck the next one will fix things.....

Please keep us posted with how you get on PaulinLeeds.

Sorry to hear that the above instructions have not resolved the email issue.

Can you keep us posted if the Windows 11 Dev update works? This will help any other customers on our forums who are having the same issues.

If you have any further issues, please come back to us.

Kind regards Jodi.