Menu
Brachy8
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Windows 10 Mail app will not recognise my virginmedia.com e-mail account

Windows 10 Mail does not recognise my virginmedia.com e-mail data. The instructions on the Virgin site do not match the settings available to me.

The account works fine on Outlook (part of Office 365)

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Windows 10 Mail app will not recognise my virginmedia.com e-mail account

Thanks for getting in touch Brachy8 and sorry to hear of the issues you're having.

On our site it only shows changing an existing email account not adding a new account to the app. I'm not sure why it doesn't show adding new accounts

Are you using the stock email client in Windows 10(white envelope with blue background) when trying to add your Virgin Media mail to Windows 10?

If you're using the stock email client in Windows 10, the following link from Microsoft goes into more detail of how to add the account to Windows 10

https://support.office.com/en-ie/article/set-up-email-in-the-mail-app-for-windows-10-7ff79e8b-439b-4...

You would need your mail address and password, as well as the below information to connect your account

Incoming email server - pop3.virginmedia.com

Outgoing email - serversmtp.virginmedia.com

Please give this a try and let me know how it goes.

Thanks

Steven_L

Brachy8
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi there, thank you for your reply however, I have tried what you suggested and at first it looked good.

I got a pop-up window which informed me that the new account had been set up OK.

A short while later, about 10-15 seconds,  the Mail app informed me that I had to update my password for the account.

This I did, I use Norton's Password Manager to keep track of all my passwords, but it still said that either the password needed to be updated or I had to "give the account permission to sync to this device".

I noticed that the settings which you sent were as follows: -

Incoming email server - pop3.virginmedia.com

Outgoing email - serversmtp.virginmedia.com

I have never seen the Outgoing email server specified to be serversmtp.virginmedia, just smtp.virginmedia.com.

The account which is working on outlook I have specified as IMAP.

Also, I can't see any way of setting up the MAIL account manually in order to specify the servers in that way.

Any further ideas?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Sorry that's my fault, the server should be - smtp.virginmedia.com not the one that I specified in my earlier message. That was an error on my part.

I have found another helpful link on our site, I couldnt find this previously.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-how-to-use-email-with-mail-clients

Is this the link that you tried to follow previously? if not please could you try this link and see if this helps connect your email to Windows 10.

Thanks

Steven_L

Sololobo
Community elder
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Instructions for setting up Windows 10 Mail are here: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-how-to-use-email-with-mail-clients (They do include instructions for adding a new account.)

See under the Windows 10 Setup tab which provides the following info.

Account Name  Anything you would like to name the account   
 Your Name Your name as you would like it to appear to others when you send them an email.  
 Incoming email server   imap.virginmedia.com
 Account Type IMAP
 Username Use entire email address.
 Password Enter the password for your email account.
 Outgoing (SMTP) email server smtp.virginmedia.com
 Outgoing server requires authentication Ticked
 Use the same user name and password for sending mail Ticked
 Require SSL for incoming mail Ticked
 Require SSL for outgoing email

Ticked

Also check under Windows 10 Settings which provides more info.

Your Name The name you entered when you set up the account.    
 Email The slider should be in the On position.   
 Incoming email server   imap.virginmedia.com:993:1  
 Outgoing (SMTP) email server   smtp.virginmedia.com:465:1  
 Outgoing server requires authentication   Ticked
 Use the same user name and password for sending mail Ticked
 Require SSL for incoming mail Ticked
 Require SSL for outgoing email Ticked

Good luck.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
Brachy8
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi there Lone Wolf.

I have discovered the cause of my problem. I use Norton's Identity Safe app to create and store my passwords. 

When I want to log in to anything, I find the stored record, copy the password to the clipboard and the paste it into the requisite field to access the app or whatever.

What appears to be happening is that when I copy any of my passwords to the clipboard, what is on the clipboard is not what was stored in the record.

If, on the other hand I enter the password manually, hey presto, no problems.

Now whether this is a 'feature' added by Microsoft to prevent automated password phishing, I cannot say but, it's a real pain in the neck!

Cheers, and thank you for all your assistance.

Brachy8

0 Kudos
sophie100
Dialled in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

A quick note to say that I suspect your conclusion about Windows 10 is correct. I've been having difficulties recently with updating email passwords generally, and realized rather late in the day that copy and pasting was not working.

Now, as a security issue, I do actually applaud the idea - even if it is a pain the backside. What I do not applaud is the fact that there is no warning to this effect on Windows 10, and that Virginmedia help staff don't seem to be aware of this either.

0 Kudos