Menu
orsoch
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Why is Sent email in different folder when sent from iPhone?

Hello All!

My wife has a Mac, an iPad and an iPhone all using bog standard Apple email

when she sends an email from the iPhone it ends up in the following folder when we look at VM Mail:

My Folders>[Gmail]>sent mail

This is different to when she sends on any of the other devices and also VM Mail, which end up in:

Sent Objects

This is driving her nuts when she goes searching for emails she has sent. Is there a fix for this please?

regards,

Chris

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why is Sent email in different folder when sent from iPhone?

Hi - I don't know why it is happening, but I can probably point you to how to get it to stop.

Have your wife sign on to Virgin Media Webmail.  When they moved away from google mail in 2015, she would have been given folders to hold all the mail from that platform.

Look at the folders on the left of the screen, and she can move chunks of sent mail to the folder she prefers.  When it is empty, she can delete the folders she no longer wants, and create new ones if she desires.

Then when she goes back to using her Apple Mail, the folders will synchronise and the problem "should" be gone.  Good luck.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

• Go to Settings > Passwords and Accounts
  • select the appropriate account under Accounts
  • select the account under IMAP
  • scroll to bottom of page and select Advanced
  • select Sent Mailbox under Mailbox Behaviours
  • select Sent under On the Server
  • select < Account and then Done
orsoch
Tuning in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks both of you.

I've changed the settings as suggested and moved all the emails out of the folder to where they should live with the others.

The thing we are noticing though is that when viewing the sent items list on either the iphone or ipad, they are are not all there. We can see some that were sent after the settings changed but the bulk of them seem not to be in the list, although if you search for something specific it finds it.

Any ideas on that one please?

regards,

Chris

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Not sure, but try the "View" and "Sort by" settings in the top right of the main window in web mail.  These are options you can set different for each folder.

0 Kudos
orsoch
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi MissPasko

thanks for taking an interest. Web mail is fine. I can sort as you suggest and see all the sent items. on ipad and iphone though I only get to see them if I do a search, they just don't appear in the default list of sent items sorted by date. there is a gap for 2018. wierd eh?

Chris

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Chris!

Whoops - yes you did mention the ipad mail app. Sorry, I'm not overly familiar with how things are displayed on there.  Maybe someone else has knowledge of that (some sort of restore, or delete and re-set?)

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Is Filter by: set in the Sent folder?

FYI, select 2018-11-16.jpeg (located bottom left) to set Filter by

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Just to clarify what's going on here.

It sounds like the iPhone settings were originally set up back when Virgin Media was using Google Apps for ISP in order to provide the email service.

When this happened the iPad would have set the Sent Folder to point at [Gmail]->Sent.

Note however that the initial association ONLY happens when the IMAP account is set up.  It was not automatically changed when Virgin moved across to Ziggo's mail platform.

So when before the transition you had.

[gmail]

Inbox
Sent
Drafts
Trash
etc.

When the mail was migrated the Gmail folder structure was copied across in order to preserve any mails that didn't fit the new folder structure but the server had it's own folders as well.

Inbox
Sent
Drafts
Trash
etc

[gmail]
Inbox
Sent
Drafts
Trash
etc

When the migration happened I actually archived the mails in the Gmail folders and then moved any recent ones into the relevant folders in the main structure.  This is probably the one time when I'd recommend for ease of use deleting an email account and recreating it to allow it to pick up the new Inbox, Sent, Draft and Trash associations.  The folders can all be changed manually in the advanced settings of the relevant email program, but it's probably easier to delete and recreate the accounts on every device to make sure they are all using the same folders.

I can easily imagine the iPad in question trying to use [Gmail]->Inbox instead of Inbox which is why you don't see the all the mail that you see on other devices.

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I should stress that some of the above it is conjecture BUT:-

It is based on what I definitely know about the email service itself and it is IMHO the most likely reason for the behaviour noted.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.