Menu
stevem999
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Webmail - no refresh, times out constantly

Hi there, I'm a long time BY/VM customer. I use Outlook at home using POP3. I know VM don't fully support this after coming off the Google platform, and in particular this means that deleted items in Outlook don't delete themselves from the VM server.

I rarely use webmail, but happened to log in recently and noted that my mail quota was getting high, so as things aren't getting deleted, I thought I'd do some clearing (perhaps sorting by size etc).

Two issues I'm concerned about - the first is that whenever I try to access my inbox, I get the swirling arrow and an error message about failing to load messages. Logged out and back in several times and always the same. Likewise if I try to look at webmail settings, it hangs and returns an error message. I am guessing this could be because there are so many 'unread' emails?

Secondly, if using POP3 settings in Outlook and start deleting items from the server, that I might not have deleted in Outlook (as there doesn't seem to be a way of checking easily), will my Outlook then try and delete them from my own Outlook data file when it sees that the server has deleted them, or because I have downloaded it to my PC already, will it just sit there?

I have never managed to get a clear answer on why I need to use IMAP, or what effect it will have on all my existing email, email addresses/aliases etc if I just change my settings to IMAP in Outlook. I know POP3 is an old protocol but still in heavy use and disappointing that VM won't support it fully.

Any advice on the specific issues or the general use of IMAP will be appreciated.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Webmail - no refresh, times out constantly

I will answer the second question first as it is the most straightforward.  Emails downloaded to Outlook via the pop3 protocol will remain in your Outlook data file until you chose to delete them from Outlook.  Deleting them from the server via webmail will not alter what you have already downloaded to Outlook.

IMAP is preferred if you are accessing your emails on several different devices and want them all to remain in sync.  It also has the advantage of allowing you to see the other folders such as Spam without going into webmail.

You cannot simply change an account already set up in Outlook from POP3 to IMAP.  You would need to create a new account for the email address concerned in Outlook and opt for the IMAP settings.  All VM email accounts can be accessed via either protocol.

I have my main blueyonder email address set up in Outlook under both protocols.  That way I ensure I keep a copy in Outlook of the emails I want, whilst also letting me access the spam and other folders via the IMAP connection.

As for you problems logging into webmail - have you tried clearing the browser cache and cookies relating to blueyonder and virgin media?  Alternatively try using a different browser to see if that improves things.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@stevem999 wrote:

Two issues I'm concerned about - the first is that whenever I try to access my inbox, I get the swirling arrow and an error message about failing to load messages. Logged out and back in several times and always the same. Likewise if I try to look at webmail settings, it hangs and returns an error message. I am guessing this could be because there are so many 'unread' emails?

Consider using the Archive option to move messages older that 90 days to the Archive folder (this folder is automatically created if does not exist) and then delete them by year. Steps to do this are as follow:

1. select the Inbox folder
  2. select (located next to folder name) and then the Archive option
  3. select the Archive button to complete

if the Archive folder is missing from the folder list press Ctrl + Shift + R to refresh the web page

4. select the Archive folder and then the year folder you wish to delete
  5. select (located next to folder name) and then the Delete option

FYI: Trash folder is not included when calculating Mail quota value. Accurate Mail Quota value can be seen by Pressing Ctrl + Shift + R
0 Kudos
stevem999
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the tips. I will have a look at the IMAP options separately.

Just for now, trying to access webmail - I have now tried on two different PC's, with two different OS's and two different browsers, and no joy. Cleared cookies etc from both and tried again, same error. Spinning arrow and same error messages about failing to load messages and 999+ in my inbox apparently.

Also tried the Archiving suggestion - I get a message saying that it is archiving but this lasts for about 5-10 seconds and disappears and there is nothing in my archive folder.

Any more ideas please?

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@stevem999 wrote:

Just for now, trying to access webmail - I have now tried on two different PC's, with two different OS's and two different browsers, and no joy. Cleared cookies etc from both and tried again, same error. Spinning arrow and same error messages about failing to load messages and 999+ in my inbox apparently.

By spinning arrow do you mean 2019-02-22.jpeg (located top right corner) or other spinning arrows elsewhere?

0 Kudos