Menu
Superuser
Superuser
Message 11 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Re: Web Mail down Area 31 Colchester - again!

I think this has moved on slightly and it definitely looks like an individual fault on your mailbox rather than anything relating to VM web mail in general.  The latest error messages, including mail box unavailable, are all pointers in that direction.

This just demonstrates how dependent we are on an accurate and complete description of the error.

We therefore need to get the VM Forum Team to take a look at the operation of your VM mailbox. We are getting very close to the Christmas break now. I hope they will get to it before then. I am going to accelerate the process by queue jumping you a bit.

But in the meantime there is one thing you can try - clear your browser cache and all VM related cookies.

@ModTeam

-----------------------

Superuser 18/19.
Use Kudos to say thanks
Tick an answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 12 of 23
Flag for a moderator

@current wrote:

Yeah it's been doing that and just got mail box unavailable try later then previous message again. I assume virgin know it's nacked then.

Here's the problem, if it is indeed "nacked" then why is it only nacked for you?

Ignoring @SDC's issue which appears different, and normally happens when one part of the system takes too long to respond causing the server to display a default OX-Apps login page, lets look at this error message in more detail.

Error codes for web interactions fall into a number of different categories - indicated by the first number. 5xx errors are server side errors but 4xx errors are client side errors.

What do I mean?

Take the classic 404 Not found error.  This happens when the Web browser (the client) sends a request for a web page that doesn't exist on the server.

The 400 error is a similar error that means that the Web browser sent a HTTP request that the server is not able to process due to the request itself not being correct.  The generic description is 400 Bad Request.

I do appreciate that you are also getting the mailbox unavailable message - (which ends up confusing things as well).  But I'd suggest that the first thing you do is clear your browsers cache and cookies, as the issue that's causing the 400 error may also be causing the mailbox unavailable error as well.

Also, if you are using a bookmark to go the the mail page, I would consider deleting the bookmark and just trying mail2.virginmedia.com on it's own, you could also try using incognito mode (which will ignore any cookies already present on your system) when visiting mail2.virginmedia.com.

Tim

Edit the list of HTTP Status codes codes can be found here:

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7231#section-6.5.1

Alternatively here is a friendlier description of the HTTP 400 error

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-fix-a-400-bad-request-error-2617988

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
SDC
Super solver
Message 13 of 23
Flag for a moderator

@ravenstar68 wrote:

Ignoring @SDC's issue which appears different, and normally happens when one part of the system takes too long to respond causing the server to display a default OX-Apps login page...

Not so much an issue, more a tolerable known niggle that I don't need fixing... and confirmation that webmail was up & running here... and to suggest a cache/cookies clearance... and an opportunity to demonstrate how the up-front provision of info can obviate the need for us to play Twenty Questions.

-------------------------------------- sig start --------------------------------------
A dog is for life, not just for Christmas.
A VM email account is NOT for life, its maximum span is the duration of its associated VM broadband account + 90 days.
-------------------------------------- sig end --------------------------------------
0 Kudos
current
Tuning in
Message 14 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Still down... mailbox unavailable, 404 or Connection error. This service is not available. Retry. Blue screened message!

Just as well I set up a forward email earlier, in case of this happening again.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 15 of 23
Flag for a moderator

And I suppose you have tried clearing your browser cache and cookies, or have you just ignored that as apossible way forward - suggested by two Superusers. But what do we know?

-----------------------

Superuser 18/19.
Use Kudos to say thanks
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
SDC
Super solver
Message 16 of 23
Flag for a moderator

@current wrote:

Still down... mailbox unavailable, 404 or Connection error. This service is not available. Retry. Blue screened message!

404 error? As ravenstar68 stated, that happens when the Web browser sends a request for a web page that doesn't exist on the server, so I'm wondering if the link or bookmark you are using is still valid.

-------------------------------------- sig start --------------------------------------
A VM email account is NOT for life, its maximum span is the duration of its associated VM broadband account + 90 days.
-------------------------------------- sig end --------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 17 of 23
Flag for a moderator

@SDC - that is really good point, but I missed it.

@current - try logging in using the e-mail link at the top of this page, or any other VM web page. I have a feeling that the link you are using is out of date. IT should redirect but you can never be sure.

-----------------------

Superuser 18/19.
Use Kudos to say thanks
SDC
Super solver
Message 18 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Just a minor observation... this thread has been marked as "Solved" but it clearly isn't solved yet.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
current
Tuning in
Message 19 of 23
Flag for a moderator

No it's not. As I said above, I'm getting an array of messages. I've deleted history/links and been going direct from the virginmedia page and no joy. I tried the alternate links on the other thread where people were having these issues and same connection error blue page, 404 or mailbox unavailable message?

0 Kudos
SDC
Super solver
Message 20 of 23
Flag for a moderator

@current wrote:

No it's not. As I said above, I'm getting an array of messages. I've deleted history/links and been going direct from the virginmedia page and no joy. I tried the alternate links on the other thread where people were having these issues and same connection error blue page, 404 or mailbox unavailable message?

Ok, understood. You'll get better exposure to helpers here if the thread's "Solved" status is removed. You can do that - go to the post options in one of your posts here and select Unmark as helpful answer.