cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot control 2nd Email Account !!!!

grahamm77
On our wavelength

We have been with Virgin Media for Broadband/Email for over 10 years.  When we were first set up I was the account holder lets say it was grahamXX@blueyonder.co.uk.  (I think that was because virgin bought Telewest??).  My wife then had a 2nd Email address susanYY@blueyonder.co.uk  Everything fine - I can control the account through my a/c/  Wife receiving Email OK.  Then when Web Mail was introded THEY made me use a new Email account such as grahamZZ@VIRGINMEDIA.COM.  I have no idea why?? VM never explained this.  My wife asked me to set up her Email on Outlook on Android phone - no problems - I can do it manually re IMAP and PORTS etc... if necesary.  BUT i have forgotten susanYY Email password.  However I cannot set it via my ACCOUNT grahamXX. AS it knows my a/c grahamXX a/c holder and it shows one other Email a/c - address grahammZZ@virginmedia.com.  This moring after 3 phone calls they said add susanYY where it says create new Email.  That doesn't work.  SECOND phone call to VM after loads of holds.  They say they cannot add  or link susanYY to my a/c grahamXX.  I they do my Email will stop working?  So I cannot add/link my wifes Email a/c nor can they !! Nor can I control it.  Yet VM created this problem as they were surely linked at the beginning.  Interestingly I am logged on as grahamXX as a/c holder and go to Email from that site - I see all my wife's Email.  This as I tried to politely say to the Help Desk in SA is an absolute mess.  And I worked before retirement in IT networking and UNIX.  How am I a user to supposed to administer my accounts aka Email.  A Supervisor is ringing me back so they say.  I was not rude or accuse the Help Desk in SA.  But I am not a happy bunny with VM aka technical administration.  The fibre broadband is good.  Just put my phone 'land line' on broadband - heaven knows what technical assistance problems I will run it with that if I have problems.  Are VM really a major Communications player??

17 REPLIES 17

grahamm77
On our wavelength

Finally I spoke to an Engineer in VM ITD he said that my graham & susan (wife) Email password is the same
So I log onto graham @ blueyonder OK (Have set my password on account config).  Ok so I can log onto my account at graham @blueyonder.co.uk.  IF however I try to set an account using say Outlook client on phone for Susan @blueyonder it says wrong PWD or EMail  I I try to logon to Web for Email as susan @blueyonder it says wrong PWD &/or Email.  BUT the engineer in ITD said that the PWD for graham & susan @ bluyonder or all the SAME- I clearly asked him this point to clarify.  My graham @virginmedia.com is a different password for Email and Email only. This has been over 3 days.  4 days and 4 Help Desk operatives and 2 in the IT Department.  I am so frustrated and angry not at the people but this messy way of handing Email/account etc... Plus reallly the support from VM is appaling.  I explained I am an ex IT network engineer.  But the engineer said listen to me when I was trying to explain how I saw things - so that I could understand.  Still this VM help desk approach - go there - enter that - press that etc.. When I speak to help desk engineers in some companies we talk inteligently and solve the problem together. What should I do forum members - I have had it.  Thanks for all your attempts to help.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

You have to understand that VM do not employ "help desk engineers". They employ staff who are trained only to follow scripts. The only answers they can give you are the ones on the screen in front of them.

I can't help you with your problem as I have never used VM email. But I can advise you to start migrating your email to another system. VM email is a mess with the differen domain names, and many of the older ones are suffering with systemic hacking which they seem powerless to stop.

VM stopped issuing new email addresses a year ago, and there seems to be doubt as to how long they will continue a service that earns them nothing and is plagued with customer complaints.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

grahamm77
On our wavelength

VM Help desk assured me that the Email address I logon on the Web and to read Web mail was the SAME address as used to connect to the Mail servers.  So when I tried to set up a client like Outlook or Thunderbird the Web password doesn't work,.  On the account settings for the Email address for the account is a subsection that sets as passwoird for apps or 3rd Party clients.  Doesn't seem to me the Help Desk operatives have much knowledge of what they are helping with??  This arose as I forgot the password to set up my wife's Email on her Android Phone. But I can't set it nor can Help Desk.  So have it raised on a ticket number to the IT department.  They didn't help much but then a senior person rang me.  He was supposed to ring me back but I am still waiting.  I won't say that much in case I get thrown off the forum but I am not a very happy bunny with VM support.  I am an ex IT networking engineer with UNIX as well.  Now using a Linux laptop to get away from MS.  Do appreciate the forum and its help

Hi grahamm77, 

Thanks for coming back to us in the Community. We're sorry to hear you are no further forward on this. 

I think it would be best if you stop communicating with the team now and let us have a shot at looking in to things with the aim to resolve them. 

To do that I will need to confirm some information with you to pass security so I have sent you a direct message to allow us to do this with you in a private space. If you are using a PC/Laptop then you can just click on the little ✉ at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox. If you are on a mobile/tablet device then instead click on the little circle icon in the top right then select 'Messages'. 😊

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi grahamm77, 

Thanks for coming back to me on this one via private message. 

When there are too many people, from different teams and departments, looking into the same issue, it can make things more complicated and harder to resolve and it also means we're all repeating the same work so as this is already with someone, who has raised a complaint and given you a recent update, we'll leave this with them. 

If you get to the point where you need further help though, pop back and we can take over from here. 

Many thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Complaints I think said they would get the IT Department Email to ring my on Monday.   This is now getting for about 10 days.  At least 3 Help Desk operatives who didn't help at all and didn't understand the problem.  Nor do some who have tried to help me via the Forum.  I will see what IT Email engineers say  All I need is the ability to change the password for my Wife's Email that is used for IMAP/POP3/SMTP etc.  Which is NOT the same as the My Virgin Web login despite what I was told by Virgin operatives.  But the problems is the I the account holder am on a blueyonder.co.uk name. I don't get my mail via that VM gave me a Virginmedial.com address.  If I log onto my account on blueyonder.co.uk I see my wife's Emails - not good from a security point of view.  My wife's blueyonder.co.uk Email is not shown as associated with my blueyonder.co.uk Email that I use to logon to MY Virgin to control my account.  I can logon to my virignmedia.com web page ack and change that PWD and that for apps and 3rd party.  But I have no way to change my or set up my wife's Email PWD or say apps and 3rd party.,  Nor can VM as it is not linked to my account as  the account holder.  Nobody at VM seems to grasp this.  They don't want to listen to me an ex IT engineer trying to tell them how I see it.  Why we were given 2 blueyonder.co.uk Emails that we now can't really use in terms of controlling the PWDs nobody at VM has explained.  Perhaps the readers of this Forum can see why i am so frustrated and confused by VM. Are they really a Communications company or just a Medi company playing at communications?

Hi grahamm77, 

Thanks for coming back to us in the Community again with this. 

We understand the frustration however we need to let the IT Team work in the background to resolve things. As mentioned previously, when you are going down different contact routes, it can make things more confusing. I would advise making any changes or trying to do anything for now and wait until the IT Team do come back to you. 

Keep us posted on how things develop though as we are here to provide assistance and take over if need be.

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Graham,

The main point of confusion here is something that was mentioned at the very beginning of the thread, your wife does not and never has had her own email mailbox, username and password There has only ever been one mailbox, account and password, and that was the one associated with the grahamXX@blueyonder.co.uk. address.

Back in the dim and distant past the blue yonder setup allowed for ‘aliases’ of email addresses to be associated with the same mailbox; for example if I had setup a fred.bloggs@bluexxxxxx.co.uk and that subsequently I thought that it would be easier if people could just also email me on fred@, I would set that up as an alias to my ‘main’ address. People could send emails to either address and they would all go into the same mailbox. I could log into it using the ‘main’ address as the username and the relevant password and see everything, but note that there is no username/password combination for the fred@ address, it’s just an alias of the main one, not a separate email account in it’s own right.

Now, if you say you can log into the webmail interface for the grahamXX@blueyonder.co.uk. account and see all of your wife’s email, that sort of clinches it, if you try sending just her on the susan@ address an email, does it show up then it proves everything is sort of working. These alias addresses are not the way it works for ntlworld.com or virginmedia.com addresses, so it’s maybe not too surprising to find that nobody on the helpdesk has a clue (no doubt anyone who did has long since left and the scripted crib sheet of answers doesn’t cover it), so they just say anything which sounds fairly reasonable and hang up.

The question now is why it has apparently worked all this time and suddenly stopped, one possibility is that along with all the recent changes that VM have been making to the email system, they may well have disabled the ability for ‘alias’ addresses to log in to the webmail portal or using any client devices - this now has to be done via the primary address, the grahamxx@ one - a degree of speculation but it does sound reasonable. It probably would have shown up much earlier if you had NOT been told that you must use a new virginmedia.com address from now on. This was actually NEVER true.

Anyhow going forward, you can carry on using the @virginmedia.com address and your wife can use the blueyonder@ one (her address, the susan@), with two provisos.

a) That the graham@blueyonder address is properly associated with your myvirginmedia.com account; and 

b) When your wife want’s to see her email, in webmail, she signs in with your old blueyonder address and password.

Similarly if she wants to use an email client application on a phone, then the credentials to put in to access it, again will be your old details. Unless you have recently changed the password for the graham@blueyonder address, in which case, again due to a recent change, that password will only work for webmail access, for client devices, it is now necessary to create a separate app-specific password to use.