cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vulnerable Customer - 'Too many bad emails have been sent. We blocked your connecting IP'

Sixx
Tuning in

So, my 84 yr old mum (deaf & disabled) has been the victim (in the past) of several scams.  She gets multiple emails that she's 'not sure about' so I suggest that any she's worried about she sends on to me.  It appears she's tried to do that.  But none have reached me and now she can't send out ANY emails.   WHY is it that she can receive multiple dodgy emails but when she tries to forward them SHE is the one that gets shut down?!  Due to her deafness, her only other means of communication is texting.  So she send me the error message.  Extremely distressed.  It appears (after extensive googling on my part) that her IP address has been blocked....and we need to get it delisted?  (or it's been delisted and we need to get it unblocked/I'm loosing the will to live here).  I find a netreport form to complete - it might as well be in Russian.  Hopefully, I've filled it in correctly and that might do the trick.  Oh and at the top of the form it mentions calling VM Internet Security Team.  Googled number and did that - but nothing to do with them!  Having had poor experiences in the past with phoning VM, I thought I'd try on here.  
I can provide whatever information is required for it to be looked at further.  But end result is a vulnerable person needs her email facility fully functioning again.

10 REPLIES 10

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

have flagged the thread - hopefully that will get VM here quickly

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good afternoon @Sixx

Welcome back to the forums & thank you for your post. 

I am sorry to hear that your mother has had some issues with her email address. 

We would strongly advise against forwarding spam emails as this would cause the email address flagging up as spam, it might be worth her sharing the password so you can view them as an alternative. 

Is your mum a current virgin media account holder? Would you be able to pass data security on her behalf? If so I can sort the email address out for you.

Kind regards,

Zak_M

...I certainly do have all her access information.  How do I proceed?

Sixx
Tuning in

...Follow up.
The 'only' way to get this issue resolved is by completing the netreport form.  The following day they unblocked her account, with a warning not to send spam emails (she was only forwarding them for me to check, why not stop them arriving?!) and to run a malware program (she has one).  

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good morning @Sixx

I have this morning heard from the internet security team who have advised the IP address & email address are both not black listed. 

How are things looking since we last spoke? 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

hi Zak, thanks for try to help.  I actually updated my forum status (about an hour ago?).  I got a reply to the netreport doc (email including my orig) stating that they had 'taken action against this'   ie unblocked/un delisted it.  

...ps.  Todays problem is I have no sound on BBC 1 HD (ie channel 108) - but I'm not alone in this and it's on a different thread.

Thank you for keeping us updated on this Sixx.

Are you still experiencing the issue with BBC 1 HD today?

^Martin

...sorry, updated other thread and forgot to do this one - everybody's HD (108) came back on at the same time.
.........50p in the meter?  (gotta be a certain age to get that one)

But, it would be nice to know what did cause it for peeps in the MK area.