cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virginmail spam bug

crispinjessop
Joining in

Emails that are not spam are being filtered into spam folder. The filter was turned for all emails, but some genuine continued to be shunted into spam folder. Tried adding sender to contacts, again still shunted into spam. Spoke to "support" but was told this was a "feature". Clearly there is a bug in the spam filtering process if no override is possible. has anyone solved this issue by a workaround?

12 REPLIES 12

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good morning @crispinjessop.

Welcome to the forums and thank you for taking the time to post. 

I am sorry to hear that you have had some issues with your email address. 

Are you able to let me know how you are accessing your emails? Is this via the virgin media website or via the app?  Have you set these rules up directly on the virgin media browser? 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

Sololobo
Superstar

@crispinjessop wrote:

Emails that are not spam are being filtered into spam folder. The filter was turned for all emails, but some genuine continued to be shunted into spam folder. Tried adding sender to contacts, again still shunted into spam. Spoke to "support" but was told this was a "feature". Clearly there is a bug in the spam filtering process if no override is possible. has anyone solved this issue by a workaround?

From here: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-email-spam-settings

Marking an email as SPAM or NOT SPAM in Virgin Media Mail will move that email to the relevant folder, but doesn't maintain that choice for future messages for that sender.

Makes you wonder exactly what the point of this feature is.

To permanently block an email from a sender that you identify as SPAM (but the SPAM filter does not), you can set up a filter to delete any future messages. For more information, see Using Filters in Virgin Media Mail.

If emails from a particular sender are being identified incorrectly as SPAM, save the sender as a contact. This will ensure you receive all messages from that sender and their messages won’t be identified as SPAM. For more information on how to add a contact, check Using the Address Book in Virgin Media Mail.

If this doesn't actually work as described then it's not a feature, it's a bug.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you view the source text of the emails still going to your Spam folder do any contain headers beginning with X-SPAM?

FYI: in webmail an email's source text can be viewed by selecting it and then > View source

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

Zak, the virgin mail is access via the web. I have tried all the recommended actions to prevent genuine emails going to spam, ie turn off spam altogether, adding sender to contacts, etc. None stop it. I think it is a bug in the software.

Thanks for the response. Adding to contacts doesn't stop it going to spam nor does adding to contacts. I agree with your suggestion that it is a bug.

Thanks for the help - I have copied a small part of the source - does this identify the cause of the problem. see below - just deleted email address for privacy

X-Env-Mailfrom: bounce-866218-6167-193993-xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxx.emsend7.com
X-Env-Rcptto: xxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxxx
X-SourceIP: 52.128.41.197
X-CNFS-Analysis: ??

Hi crispinjessop, thanks for the message and welcome back to the forums. I am sorry to hear about the email issues which you are having. Would you be able to confirm that this is still happing or has this since been resolved? ^Chris

Yes the problem is ongoing.  One kind responder suggested looking at the email header source. I compared this with a header from an email from the same sender that did not go into spam. The headers were the same which suggests that Virgin changed something around mid year which introduced this error. Typical untested side effect of a software upgrade?  The problem did not exist  earlier this year. 

Thank you for confirming @crispinjessop

Can I ask if this is happening to all emails or to a specific few addresses? 

Thank you.