Menu
th3rdroc
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Virgin wont accept apple or outlook email connections

My first forum post. Apologies if im making errors

we had a service outage 2 weeks ago, around midnight end of sep 19

since then we cant send mails on several different devices using apple mail or outlook. Get user credentials error. Receiving is ok. Yes quadrillion checked id, pw, ports, etc. Vm web is ok most times, but occasionally says credentials not valid....but sends any way.

several calls to vm. Ive been put on hold, cut off many times, told I need to pay for 6 months extra support (no!), but did finally get an escalation to 2nd line and a ticket raised about a week ago.

called again today as still no joy. Navigated the painful login, listened to a few music tracks and finally got someone. He asked for all the details verbally again. Then he said he needs to check something, be on hold......cut off. Rang back for more music. Got someone who wanted all the details again, said they would pass me to 2nd line. More music, then hear  the phone ringing to presumably 2nd line....then cutoff. Rang back. More music. Got a third person who needed all the details again. He checked all my vm and ipad settings - all ok of course. Changed pw ( lost count how many times ive done this in last 2 weeks). Said vm web is ok, dont really support 3rd party apps, but will escalate. Will be 4 to 5 days!!

i deleted all email accounts on my ipad, then tried re adding. Error says cant authenticate with vm for SSL. so now cant even receive on apple mail.

some personal investigations. Wife gave up on vm and logged in on phone provider rather than home broadband - it worked. I was dubious as obviously still vm email. I went to the pub, logged in to their internet. Oh, my ip ad now authenticates my account. I can read and send, no probs. Came home, logged onto home broadband ( btw, premium vm 350 Gb cable). Yep, cant authenticate outgoing smtp server.

I’ll call again tomorrow for more phone frustration, more music and see if i can add info on it being vm broadband settings causing the issue. Wish me luck. Hope this helps others in the same situation. Seems to be a few reading on line posts

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin wont accept apple or outlook email connections

(It is late, and I haven't read all your post, so I might have missed some clues.)

Before you try ringing - read this thread and see if you can get your apple device working again.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Ipad-Iphone-SMTP-why-deleting-and-recreating-an-account-D...

If not, DON'T ring - come back here and our community members will help you figure out what is wrong and whether you can fix it yourself, or refer to the VM forum team for escalation.  There could be a wait, but no hold music!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

OK so when you are not on the VM network, you can receive (and more importantly) send perfectly well, is that correct? If so, and as you say webmail has worked OK all the time (except for some odd times when it complained about authentication but sent anyway - but we'll leave that's for now), all indicates that your mailbox is intact and working and that you have the right settings in your email clients and that he username and passwords are accepted.

So that leaves us with the suggestion that the issue is actually with your home broadband and more specifically your public IP address has found its way onto a blacklist. When you try to send an email, as part of the authentication sequence, VM check that the IP address you are connecting from isn't on a list of known or suspected spammers and if it is then the attempt to authenticate is denied (it actually returns a specific error code but often the email clients don't show this and just give a pointlessly generic password or authentication failure).

So first things first, you need to find out your public IP address at home and the quickest way to do that is to open a google search page and just put IP in the search box. The results page will show your address in the first result, it'll be something like 82.....

Armed with that the next step is to enter it into the check box on the Spamhaus website

https://www.spamhaus.org/lookup/

Put the address into the box and see what comes back. Now expect to see your address included on some of the lists, this is normal, but see what it says and post the results back up.

Now assuming that you are on one or more of the block lists, and this does seem likely, we need to get you delisted, normally this is automatic after a day or so but the fact that you say this has been going on for some time isn't a bit of a worry. The implication is that you have a device on your home network which has picked up a bit of malware and is quietly sending out spam email (or at least trying to) entirely without your knowledge. So until this is tracked down and cleaned up, it's pointless getting delisted as you will simply be added back on again.

So two things, you need to a) check the Spamhaus block list to see if you are on it and b) systematically check every device on your home network and scan it for malware.

John

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@jem101 

I think you are spot on about the blacklisting.  However I would like to qualify what you said a little.

Spamhaus has a number of lists which fall broadly into 3 categories.

Spam threats are identified in the SBL - these are lists of addresses which have been seen distributing spam.  These lists include the CSS (Composite Snowshoe Spam).

Policy Black Lists like the PBL - these ARE NOT SPAMMERS - rather they are lists of addresses that have properties that mean they should not be sending unauthenticated mail to mail exchangers.-  All Virgin Media and indeed ALL RESIDENTIAL users should be on these lists.

Exploit Black Lists - Indicate IP addresses that show signs of being exploited i.e. infected with malware.

TL:DR

Ignore the PBL entry - you SHOULD be on this.

If you're on the SBL or XBL - it's time to be looking at your machines.

Tim

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hello jem101

Sorry you are having a few issues with your email. 

Just a quick message at the moment to see how things are 

Have you been able to run a full malware scan on your devices?

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Gareth_L @You might want to re-read the thread and aim your questions at the OP.

Tim

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hello th3rdoc, 

Sorry you are having a few issues with your email. 

Just a quick message at the moment to see how things are 

Have you been able to run a full malware scan on your devices?

Gareth_L

th3rdroc
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yes, I found that info when researching my issue. Whilst interesting, it doesnt seem relevant. To summarise my issue and what I have done :

1. My public ip was flagged by virgins traffic monitoring partner (spamhaus) and subsequently blocked from sending emails with apple or microsoft mail (the smtp server refused to accept credentials). Yes the virgin web mail worked, but all our mail files are in apple and outlook.

2. I unblocked it direct with spamhaus as virgin seemed not to know anything about ip addresses etc. It was ok for a while but it reblocked after about an hour (I tried several times, same result). No obvious email traffic issue from my end

3. After multiple attempts to get any sense from virgin, I gave up and persuaded them to swop my hub - giving me a new public ip. So far not blocked and mails now send.

4. I’ve not been able to determine why the original public ip was blocked, but it happened immediately after a virgin service outage on 26 Sep

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Spamhaus are not a Virgin Media partner.  They are an independent company.  Spamhaus allows anyone to use their blacklists to filter connections.  Indeed my own mail server makes use of them.

Virgin Media do use the CSS in an unusual way..  What would be interesting to check is whether your IP address changed after the service outageon 26th Sep ( @ModTeam ).  At any rate Spamhaus normally delist IP addresses in the CSS after a few days if no more detection events occur.

Incidentally there is a thread going on where a user has found himself relisted on the CSS multiple times, and has currently spotted suspicious packets on his network.  We are currently trying to narrow down the device responsible.

Tim

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos