cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin.net

Michael19
Tuning in

Why has my access to my virgin.net account that I’ve had for 20-30 years been blocked ?

15 REPLIES 15

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Michael19 wrote:

Why has my access to my virgin.net account that I’ve had for 20-30 years been blocked ?

Impossible to say based on the limited information you have provided.

Continued use of any Virgin Media email address, including virgin.net require the email address to be attached to a current VM broadband account.

Does your virgin.net address show under the My Profile or Manage Accounts tabs when signed into your My Virgin Media account with your primary username?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

The thing is that virgin media did not exist when I created this email address.

I have No virgin media products.

20-30 years ago its was not easy to get a business email, so then you could just set up a virgin.net email address as I did.

all my customers have this email address which I have been using a long time

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Michael19 

I am aware of the history.  The Virgin.net domain came under the control of Virgin Media via a series of deals which saw NTL and Telewest merge and acquire Virgin mobile with the new group using the name Virgin Media under a licence deal with the Virgin Group.

I expect that you first got the email address as a dial up account.  This service was closed down many years ago and associated email addresses should have been closed unless they were moved to a cable broadband account.  A number fell through the net and continued to operate.  Recent server changes have led to some of these accounts being locked.

As they are no longer available on the VM systems the VM staff can't do anything to restore them.

There is a thread explaining orphaned accounts here:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Orphan-Email-accounts/td-p/3492073/jump-to/first-unread-m...

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

Graham I fully except what you are saying. But I have relied on this email for so long now & if I had been give a warning that it was going to be deleted I whould have made other arrangements.

its ironic because I do have better business email address that for over 20 years has been diverted to go to my virgin.net.

All I’m looking for is a little time to sort out the emails that I’m expecting & change to the other email address.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Michael, believe me I do sympathise with your predicament.

First responses on this community forum are generally from other community members like me.  The VM Forum Team staff should pick this thread up tomorrow and reply with an 'official' VM response.

I just wanted to set out the possibility that this might not be recoverable. I absolutely agree that Virgin Media have failed badly in communication over these issues, although with many orphaned accounts they won't have any contact details for the former customers affected.

Thanks Graham,

lets see if virgin media reply to this thread. They do seem to be getting a bad name for there customer service & this a good opportunity to help.

thanks again for taking the time to help.

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good morning @Michael19 

Welcome to the forums and thank you for taking the time to post. 

I am sorry to hear that you have had some issues with your email address. 

What Graham_A has advised is correct, these emails can be deleted at any time, however I would like to see if I can do anything to get this resolved. 

I am going to pop you over a PM so that I can get some further information. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for coming back to me via PM Michael19.

Unfortunately having checked over everything, the email address is no longer on our system, this means that it has been deleted.

Kind regards,

Zak_M 

Sorry don't think that is true, I phone virgin & they found the email address but would not help.

All I'm looking for is it to be restored for a short time so i can reply to emails & change all the things that have been attached to this address.

Is that to much to ask?